Folic acid

Hi fellow mums/dads-to be! I just found out I’m expecting (6 wks now) and went to the GP and got a referral to an OBGYN. I wasn’t eating folic acid before so the GP just prescribed it to me but he gave me 5mg dosage after googling lol. Is this ok? I did my research online and it sounds like usually mums only take 400mcg and 5mg is usually more for high risk pregnancies which at this stage i’m not... I’m due to meet my OBGYN only next week so wondering if I should take the 5mg in the meantime and whether there would be any negative side effects from consuming higher dosage of folic acid than required? Appreciate any advice!

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Congrats on your pregnancy mummy! Nope 5mg is also considered normal intake dont worry! (: the usual is 400mcg - 5mg and 5mg can be taken even when youre not pregnant or not high risk as it’s just a supplement. And do note to take folic acid every single day during your first trim as its very important for the baby. Also docs knows best they wont give you something that will risk your health or pregnancy 😊

Read more

just follow what your gynae advises you. Folic acid only helps your baby, it doesn't bring any side effects. i dont only take folic acid, i take pregnancy milk as well, which already overdosage but your body dont absorb all content, so it doesnt matter 5mg or 4mg.

it should be fine. I'm low lisk and my gynae prescribed 5mg for me for my first tri. don't worry! and congratulations!!

my ob last time give me 5mg of folic acid no worries theres no harm to take 4 to 5mg during pregnancy.trust your obgyn

my gynae told me theres no harm taking more folic acid, it will jus pass out of your system if you don't require it.