Ask the Expert Series: Should I be worried if my child gets sick too often

Hello everyone! Excited to “see” you! I am Dr. Katrina Heng, a Medical Doctor who sees Pediatric patients. Together with the team at TAP, we would love to help as many of you on your parenting journey. A happy baby is a healthy baby. Some babies have a healthy baby weight, while some babies take healthy baby food, but they might get sick too often. Are you worried about how to get a healthy baby ? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 👩- My baby has frequently runny nose and cough... 👩‍💼- Prevention; to encourage hand hygiene as part of play, this way it does not take away your baby’s joy of childhood. I would strongly recommend completing her vaccinations. Having a well balanced diet makes a difference for the little ones too. Remedies for the common cold in our climate and weather include symptomatic relief such as a humidified room or dust-free environment can help lessen your baby’s exposure to elements that would lead to the common coughs and cold. There are common over-the-counter medications that can provide symptom relief for them too, without causing reliance or harm. 👩 - My daughter has febrile seizure. 👩‍💼 - Febrile seizures are seen in children less than 6 years old, because the brain has yet to mature and fully develop. During an illness or fever, their-yet-to-mature system can lead to seizures. Most seizures are short and will stop spontaneously. It is important to remain calm and lie the child on a flat surface, having their head turned to the side. Here are some questions asked in our community, and we got the answers for you ✅

Ask the Expert Series: Should I be worried if my child gets sick too often
24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My baby entered infant care when she was 7 months old. She frequently gets runny nose and cough (every 1 to 2 weeks) every since. She just turned 1 year old and is still having this issue. Her Infant Care Teacher mentioned that she is the only one having this issue. It worries me having to see that she needs to take medication so frequently as this issue repeats every one or two weeks. Is there any home remedies or other methods to help ease or improve this issues? I wish to avoid giving her Western medical so often. Thank you and hope to hear some advices from you.

Read more
1y ago

Thank you for sharing your concerns here. It sounds disheartening when your little one’s school teacher tells you that your baby seems to be the only one with a runny nose and cough. Please take heart that you are not the only parent who feels this way. Your question of home remedies / methods to help ease this would come in 2 forms: 1) prevention; to encourage hand hygiene as part of play, this way it does not take away your baby’s joy of childhood. I would strongly recommend completing her vaccinations. Having a well balanced diet makes a difference for the little ones too. 2) Remedies for the common cold in our climate and weather include symptomatic relief such as a humidified room or dust-free environment can help lessen your baby’s exposure to elements that would lead to the common coughs and cold. There are common over-the-counter medications that can provide symptom relief for them too, without causing reliance or harm. I hope this helps address your concerns.

VIP Member

Hi Dr Heng, My girl just turned 1 last month. She gets sick very often ever since I put her in the infant care when she was 3MO. The common sickness are runny nose, cough and fever. It can happen almost every week. Is there anything that I can do to help build up her immunity?

1y ago

Dear Cindy, thank you for sharing about your little girl. The immune system in children takes time to develop, ideally, they should be as healthy as adults once they reach 2 years old. Until then, prevention helps; encourage hand hygiene as part of play, this way it does not take away your baby’s joy of childhood. I would strongly recommend completing her vaccinations. Having a well balanced diet makes a difference for the little ones too. Vitamin C and sunshine, which is a natural source of Vitamin D, both helps to boost the immune system too. I hope this helps address your concerns.

My 3 y old Child is always getting bad coughs. Every cold becomes a lingering cough. She coughs so hard she vomits sometimes. I've taken her to several doctors and even tried nebulizers and nothing seems to be working. Will she just grow out of this phase?

1y ago

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you and your 3 year old have gone through a lot together. Do not be disheartened, this is a common response from many parents too. Usually, children will recover fairly quickly from the common coughs and colds. A good gauge would be their energy and activity levels. However, if there are persistent or worsening symptoms, I would recommend a clinic visit with your family doctor. I hope this helps address your concerns.

What are your thoughts on having toddlers on a vegetarian diet? My 2 and half year old is very choosy and refuses to eat most foods (he refuses all meat and seafood) - I’m worried that this is affecting his health as he falls sick very often.

1y ago

Thank you for sharing your concerns here. There is a phrase “terrible-twos”, this stage of childhood is starts from around 12 months, up to 4 years of age. This can be in the form of tantrums, loving the word ‘NO’, and possibly being a fussy eater. One suggestion would be to have meals together, because toddlers love to emulate their parents. Having meals together as a family, making mealtime enjoyable can help your child accept and be more receptive to a variety of foods gradually. Regarding your question, I would respect the decision of the parent, at the same time, provide support and resources for the parents to be well informed of the various forms of food available to ensure a healthy child. I hope this helps address your concerns.

My daughter has febrile seizure. When she has fever, I am really scared..How long does she has this condition. and How should I treat her when she has febrile seizure?

1y ago

Thank you for sharing your experience and your daughter’s condition. Febrile seizures are seen in children less than 6 years old, because the brain has yet to mature and fully develop. During an illness or fever, their-yet-to-mature system can lead to seizures. Most seizures are short and will stop spontaneously. It is important to remain calm and lie the child on a flat surface, having their head turned to the side. After a seizure, children then to be tired and sleep. I would recommend a clinic visit with your family doctor after the seizure to ensure that there are no other concerning conditions. I hope this helps address your concerns.

My baby, 5 months old, is having runny nose and cough since last 2 weeks. she has been on the medication for a 2. After a two weeks. Not well yet, What can I do?

1y ago

Dear Luna Mum, thank you for sharing the difficulty you and baby are facing. It sounds tough going for mummy and baby. If baby has been on medications for 2 weeks, and baby’s symptoms are persistent or has worsened, I would recommend a clinic visit with your family doctor. I hope this helps address your concerns.

my 2yo has been getting coughing and sneezing frequently (like every 2 - 3 weeks) ever since she started pre-school. how can i help to boost her immunity?

1y ago

Dear Anna, thank you for sharing about your 2 year old. The immune system in children takes time to develop, ideally, they should be as healthy as adults once they reach 2 years old. Until then, prevention helps; encourage hand hygiene as part of play, this way it does not take away your baby’s joy of childhood. I would strongly recommend completing her vaccinations. Having a well balanced diet makes a difference for the little ones too. Vitamin C and sunshine, which is a natural source of Vitamin D, both helps to boost the immune system too. I hope this helps address your concerns.

I am sending my 2 years old to daycare. He often falls sick, especially with a cold, Do I need to give him any supplement to improve his immunity?

1y ago

Dear Vindis Choice, thank you for sharing about your naughty little heart throb. The immune system in children takes time to develop, ideally, they should be as healthy as adults once they reach 2 years old. Until then, prevention helps; encourage hand hygiene as part of play, this way it does not take away your baby’s joy of childhood. I would strongly recommend completing his vaccinations. Having a well balanced diet makes a difference for the little ones too. Vitamin C and sunshine, which is a natural source of Vitamin D, both helps to boost the immune system too. I hope this helps address your concerns.

If the baby gets a fever often without any other symptoms. Does it mean he has any other health problems? Do I need to take him for any tests?

1y ago

Dear Teena, thank you for sharing your concerns. Fever is concerning. If baby is frequently having a body temperature of more than 38degC, without symptoms, I would recommend a clinic visit with your family doctor to assess for any concerning conditions. I hope this helps address your concerns.

What are the normal red flags for a baby below 1 year? Do I need to go to a doctor whenever he falls in a sick