Ask the Expert Series: Why is Healthy Eating Important for Children?

Hello everyone! Excited to “see” you! I am Aileen Ling, Naluri Dietitian. Together with the team at TAP, we would love to help as many of you to improve your little one's nutrition. Healthy eating is essential for your child's health life, growth and development. General eating habits and patterns are formed in the first few years of life. The food included in your child's diet plan should be balanced and nutritious. You can find most of the information related to your child's nutrition, meals, meal planning, health, and feeding tips here. ------------------------------ Here are some questions asked in our community, and we got the answers for you ✅ 👩‍💼What is a healthy portion for eating sweets or candy for kids? Or is there no such thing? 👩‍🔬Don’t forget that the added sugar mentioned does not only include sugar in candy and soft drinks but also in cakes, cookies, fruit juice, and many more. Based on this list, the appropriate portion would be 2 pieces of milk candy or 2 cubes of dark chocolate for a 2-3-year-old child. Also, reading nutrition labels allows us to plan the most appropriate portions for our kids to prevent increased risk of obesity and tooth decay in the future! 👩‍💼 My baby is very active. He plays throughout the day. But eat less. Do I need to take him to a doctor? or How can I encourage him for eating? 👩‍🔬As your baby grows their interest in the world around them, it is common for them to have a shorter attention span for food, hence eating less. Here are some tips for you to try out: 1. Set a meal schedule: Having mealtime at a regular time every day serves as a reminder for your baby that he needs to eat. 2. Adjust his meal portion: If your baby can’t finish his meal, try to reduce the portion. If he is still hungry, you can always offer him a second serving. 3. Offer snacks: If your baby is eating small portions during main meals, try giving him healthy snacks, such as nuts, yoghurt and fruit to give him those extra calories. 4. Replace some play time with meal preparations: Getting him involved in the kitchen could increase his interest in eating. If you still find that his growth chart is below the normal range, I would recommend you seek further support from a GP or a dietitian. 👩‍💼sometimes I feel my toddler is not eating enough. How can I make sure he is getting enough nutrition? 👩‍🔬It is common for parents to feel that their toddlers are not eating enough. You might sometimes notice that he isn’t able to eat much, but this is normal - he knows how much he needs! However, if he is eating less than normal because of distractions during mealtimes, try turning off the TV, banning gadgets at the table, or eating together. If he is resisting food continuously, try presenting his meals in a new way. Try out new ingredients, textures, shapes, and presentations to entice him into trying it! If his growth chart falls within the normal range, don't worry! It means that his intake is able to catch up with his requirements. For more information: https://www.healthhub.sg/programmes/122/early-nutrition-for-babies/12-24months/food-portion-guide-for-toddlers-baby

Ask the Expert Series: Why is Healthy Eating Important for Children?
22 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

👌🏽