Do I need to do anything about skin peeling off for my new born/? Is it normal?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For a newborn, it is normal to observe some peeling of skin on any part of the baby’s body (usually within one to three weeks). Such skin flaking will go away naturally and does not require any special care. In general, here are some skincare tips to help protect your infant’s skin from cracking or becoming overly dry. - Apply moisturizer: use moisturizer that is appropriate for babies after their baths will help lock in the moisture and help loosen any flaky skin to facilitate the peeling process. - Keep bath time short: keep the bath time to 5 to 10 mins. Having long baths may remove natural protecting oils from the newborn’s skin. Use lukewarm water and fragrance- and soap-free cleansers. - Ensure that the baby is hydrated: keeping the baby well-hydrated could help reduce dry skin. Do bear in mind hat babies should be consuming water till they are at least six months old. If you suspect the peeling is due to other conditions, do consult your doctor for his/her advice.

Read more

It's perfectly normal for newborns to have flaky skin as they are adapting and adjusting to the different environment outside the womb. What I did was to apply lotion and rub it all over her after her bath time. I used Biolane's spray lotion and I got it at the babyfair at Singapore Expo for about $16 I think. The flaky skin doesn't last very long and my son's skin was baby smooth by the time he was 3+ weeks old. Here's an article where you might useful about flaky skin: http://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/newborn-skin-peeling

Read more
VIP Member

Totally normal. Pd adviced us to let it be and not so do anything to help the peeling and let nature take her own course. The only thing we did was slather her in extra virgin coconut oil. :)

Post reply image