Dear Mummies, what to do if LO refuses fbm? She direct latch since she was born. At first i thought maybe it was cause of the bottle, but now she knows to drink water from a straw bottle. So try to let her drink fbm from the straw bottle. But she refuses. This was when i was not around for a few hours. My MIL helped to feed her. I tasted the fbm, and the fishy taste is horribly strong. Perhaps that is why she refuse to drink. I am worried because i am going back to work and hopes she can drink the fbm. Any similar experiences? What did you do? Thank you in advanced!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hey mommy, i am assuming ur fbm meant frozen breast milk ah? maybe this link could help you. an enzyme called lipase in the expressed bm is the culprit for fishy soapy metallic tasting bm. in the end, i stopped freezing bm because my girl rejected it and i personal almost threw up myself when i thawed the fbm. so i read up abt it. u can apparently 'scald' your ebm before storing or freezing away. read more abt the process in the same link. http://www.sdbfc.com/blog/2012/9/4/battling-and-resolving-excess-lipase-in-breastmilk.html All the best!

Read more
7y ago

hi, yes i read about scalding it. but usually when i pump, the output is not alot. have you tried scalding yours? did it work in the end?