my child is coming to 4months old and currently direct latching full bf. im curious to know how to direct latch once bb teeth starts appearing... will bb bite on..

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Like what Yuna mentioned,by right if baby is latching on properly, he/she would not be able to bite the mother. That being said, a baby may still bite or would attempt to, especially when he/she is teething. Usually, a baby bites just before or after nursing. It could be that he/she is impatient while waiting for the milk to come out, or that he/she is done with nursing and just biting out of boredom. To prevent getting bitten from your baby, you can try: - if baby is teething: offer your baby a teething toy or something cold for her to bite on. You can also offer this before a feeding session to prevent him/her from biting at the start of the session. - At the start of the session: ensure that your baby opens wide when latching on to ensure that he/she latches on properly. - At the end of the session: watch out for signs of boredom from the baby. You can also watch for tension in baby’s jam or when he/she pull his/her tongue back from the normal position (over the lower gum/teeth). Take baby away from breast before he/she can start biting. In general, pay attention to your baby. Do not force a feeding session if he/she is not interested in nursing. Also, paying attention to your baby (such as by maintain eye contact with him/her) may help prevent your baby from biting to attract your attention. For more tips on how to breastfeed a biting baby, you can refer to this article: http://sg.theasianparent.com/breastfeeding-teething-and-biting-babies/

Read more

Theorectically, it's physically impossible for baby to breastfeed and bite at the same time, because his/her tongue covers the bottom teeth/gum when baby is nursing. Most of the time, babies never bite too much but do note that biting is a behaviour that will occur, usually when they are teething. If baby bites, gently stop nursing and stay calm. Use positive words and don't freak out -- perhaps say things like, "Oh you don't want to nurse anymore now?" and pause the nursing session. In the long run, baby will hopefully know that biting is not desirable.

Read more

Yup, sometimes baby bites before or after feeding. What i do is this: i put one finger near his mouth. If he bites, i quickly put my finger inside and gently push open his mouth.