Can anyone advice me what to do? My baby who is 6 weeks old sleeps very little. Daytime can sleep only 1hr or never even sleep. Usually have to be carried till sleep but the moment he is put down, he wakes up again.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

From birth to six weeks, a baby typically takes 4 to 8 naps (form 15 mins to 4 hours long) and sleeps for a total of 8 to 14 hours at night. The total hours of sleep the baby has in a day is around 14 to 18 hours in total. Subsequently, from 6 weeks to 3 months, the number of naps decreased to around 3 or 4 (30mins to 2 hours long) and sleeps for 8 to 13 hours at night. The total hours of sleep would be around 11 to 15 hours in total. Time spent in between naps would varies between 1 hour and 1hour 45mins. Based on this guide, your baby is not getting enough sleep and could be overtired. When a baby is overtired, his/her body produce excess cortisol which results in short or nonexistent naps. Here are some suggestions that you can try to encourage your baby to sleep more: - Try taking your baby out for a walk. Fresh air may help a child sleep better - Try giving your baby a massage, this will help relax your baby and promote better sleep. - Babywear your child. Though not a long term solution, but at least it will ensure that your baby is getting sufficient sleep for the time being. To help solve the issue of your baby waking the moment he is being put down, I think you will need to teach him how to fall asleep on his own. Try these tips: - Establish a bedtime routine. Do the same routine every night. A bath before bed or a bedtime story. - Lay your baby down when he is drowsy but awake. Stay by his crib for awhile to help him fall asleep. Resist the temptation to pick him the moment he cries but also do not ignore his crying for prolong period. It could be like what Idza suggested that your baby is going through a growth spurt. That would last for a few days and will pass. You can also consider engaging a sleep consultant if the sleep issue persists as he grows older. Now, it is more important to ensure that your baby (and you too!) is getting enough sleep. Take care!

Read more

It could be a combination of sleep regression and growth spurt. Studies have shown that most babies experience “the peak of fussiness” due to the combination of the two abovementioned events, By 6 weeks of age, most babies are growing out of their blurry newborn state, and are starting to notice the world which can be quite overwhelming for them with all the sights, sounds and smells. All these can lead to baby being overstimulated and worn out, causing overtiredness and increased fussiness. This fussiness can be the cause of his inability to sleep. My cousin had the same problem with her little girl -- she was sleeping well since birth and suddenly at the 6th week, she stopped. She was always awake and often grew fussy despite attempts to get her to sleep. Her parents tried a few things: 1) Improve quality of environment. When it is daytime, they kept baby in well-litted areas and at night, they made sure she would be resting in a room that was dark. They also made sure that baby has as little interaction with others (besides her parents) when it was close to bedtime to avoid over-stimulation. 2) Since she was fussy and kind of clingy, they moved her bassinet next to the bed so she will always be close to her parents. 3) They tried infant massages to help baby relax. The combination of methods seem to soothe baby down and after a week, my cousin's baby went back to regular sleeping and napping. http://www.babysleepsite.com/tag/6-week-old-baby-sleep/

Read more

thanks