Can being a workaholic affect a relationship?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes. Definitely. Especially for people who are very much ambitious and involved in their work. Most of the time couples have different jobs in different industries so it's really hard to keep up with each other. At the same time it's not impossible for a couple like that to last. I know plenty of people who are happy and in love. It just takes more effort to make time for each other when your schedule clashes.

Read more

To some extent, yes. If you have different views about how to handle work and family, definitely it will affect the relationship. I have friends who have failed marriage because the other is workaholic and the other doesn't fully understand the need why the spouse has to work that hard. They say pride and self pity are factors that may lead to broken relationships.

Read more

It depends on the family dynamics. If both spouses agreed that marriage/family are their top priority, but eventually it is being neglected due to work, then that really can affect the relationship. Some families though are okay with one or both being workaholic because they know it is for their families future.

Read more

Definitely. Being a workaholic steals time from your family, albeit you don't feel you do at times. My dad is a workaholic. Works on weekends as well. Pressure from his job forces him to just finish his quota and this means less family time. Wish he could relax and take things lightly now.

Yes, especially if your spouse and kids value family time. Even if you are with them physically but your focus is always on your laptop/mobile phone doing work, your spouse and kids will feel bad.

Priorities should be clear and communicated within the relationship. Being any kind of "holic" is never really healthy.

I dont think so. If it is all for the benefit of your future, then just be supportive of your partner.

Nope. If it is for a cause that you both can understand, that won't be an issue.