My baby started drinking 180mls at abt 6 weeks old, (he's abt 11 weeks old now) but these couple of days, his appetite seemed to have decreased. He's almost sleeping through the night or only needs 1 feed though. Is this normal?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi girls, sorry been so tied up with lo & havn't had the chance to log in but thank you all for your prompt replies! Yes, 180mls seems alot but his pedaetrician assured me it's ok & that my son's just got a big appetite (which will decrease eventually & it did!). He's still drinking 180mls max now at 13wks, some days less. Anyways, his appetite did resume few days after my initial post above so phew! However, he seemed to be sleeping alot these 2 days thus his feeding time's stretched (can be 4 or 5 hrs after the previous feed). His bowel movement's also different now. He used to poop everyday or once every 2 days at the worst, but he's been only pooping once every 3 days now (for 3 cycles already)! I've tried belly massage & bicycle ride exeecise but that haven't helped. Any advise?

Read more
VIP Member

A good gauge of knowing whether your child is getting enough milk is the number of wet diapers a day. For his age, 4-5 wet diapers is ideal. If he's not reaching this number, then I would wake him up every 2-3 hours to feed.

Drinking 180ml per feed at 6 wks? How much is he drinking now? It's quite normal to sleep thru the night at 11 wks, but did he consistently sleep thru or only a one off case?

How much is baby drinking in total? You will then be able to have a better gauge. I suggest for you to wake him up if the amount he is drinking is lesser then recommended

Brought lo to the ped. eventually. Turned out it was most likely just a growth spurt. He's eating & sleeping ok again, just abit fussy at times wanting more cuddles. :)

VIP Member

his appetite decrease in the day time? For night feeds it's ok. as some babies are able to sleep thru the night at a younger ages. His diaper output enough?

It's possible. However to be safe ensure that the number of wet diapers are regular.

180mls is a lot for a 6 week old, how often do you feed him now?

7y ago

According to the pediatrician, some babies just have bigger appetite than the others... & mine just happen to be one of them milk monsters! lol i feed him every 3 hrs+- during the day. Night time baby's less demanding now as he sleeps longer, say 5 hrs or so for the first feed, then 3 or 4 hrly after.