how often to feed newborn

my baby is 2 weeks plus turning 3 weeks and people been telling me different timing to feed baby like count the time after feeding or start from feeding.. some tell me If i feed at 12.30 i must feed at 3.30 (3hourly) some tell me if i feed 12.30 and end at 1.30 i start counting from 1.30...

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I counted from the start of the last feed (if she switches side I will take the start time of the side that she last fed on before being put down), but so far my baby has been waking up before the time is up. Hang in there and don't be too stressed! Anyway there is some room to play with if you're using 3h, my dr told me the max I should wait is 4h 😄

Read more
VIP Member

It will make you stressful to keep checking the time all the time. I was very stressed in my first month, until my milk supply was very low (need to top up with formula). After first month passed, I fed my baby on demand. Whenever baby cried at night, then latch. I realised my supply was enough for her and we totally stopped fm.

Read more

I feed my son on demand . He will automatic cry at night . Change his diapers and feed him , burp him . Then sleep . Unless very very very long he nvr demand milk . Then wake him up to feed him

my will auto cry every 2 hrs when nb. keeping track no way too tiring..dun even have time to express n feed her and sleep..even if u keep track they wouldn't follow schedule

Super Mum

Hi mama, Please feed on demand and don’t watch the clock. Baby will usually give you cues which I’ve attached. May I ask how you’ve chosen to feed baby please?

Post reply image
3y ago

mix formula n breastmilk

I have never followed the clock. On the day we were discharged, baby slept so much that she didnt really eat. Only when she is hungry then we feed..

I counted every 3 hours I.e from start of feeding and not end of feeding

TapFluencer

feed by demand, don't really follow the 2/3 hours rule

VIP Member

I feed on demand. I don't follow the timing

VIP Member

feed on demand or around 8 times per day