How to plan to avoid emergency c sec?

Assuming of cos the baby is in right position, no underlying issues and doctor gives go ahead for natural birth. Oh I’ve low pain tolerance 🥲 and possibly want to choose date of birth I do not want a planned c sec before week 39. So I’ve to lean towards a natural birth. There might be a few scenarios 1. Natural baby comes before week 39 2. Induce, natural or Plan c sec after week 39 before week 40 3. Induce, natural? Plan c sec after week 40 ?? I like option 3 😂 Can you share your experiences on why you needed e c sec even tho doc cleared for natural birth? And at what week? Is it true that once baby poops inside it is confirmed e c sec? Once water bag breaks, can still do c sec?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For me, I wanted to go natural and my gynae is known to be pro natural too. Baby was good weight and in the correct position all along. We waited till 40+2 for the contractions to start but ended up with emergency C-section.. I too have low pain tolerance and took epidural at 1cm dilation hahaha Everything was rather smooth, other than the 3 events: 1. when I changed sides when I was lying down, baby’s heartbeat suddenly dropped, everyone was anxious but luckily it slowly went back normal after I return to my initial position. (Was thinking if this links to point 3) 2. Dilation was too slow. 7hrs after admission, I only dilated from 1cm to 1.5cm. Gynae broke my water bag and realize baby pooped inside and the amniotic fluid was blackish (my husband saw) Had to go for e csect in case baby suck the amniotic fluid in and have an infection. In the end, she did suck in some and had to wash her stomach 🥺 3. After the csect, my gynae said her umbilical cord was stuck above her ear, which is worse than the neck.. if it’s at the neck, at least there is space for the umbilical cord to be there.. We can plan and hope the way they arrive, but baby will have their own plans. Just rmb to be opened and as long as mummy and baby is safe and healthy, everything else doesn’t matter! All the best!! ❤️

Read more
5mo ago

Oh yes, it’s possible to have csect after the water bag breaks! Mine was broken by my gynae. Heard of some stories for planned csect at week 39 (because they already did csect for their #1) but water suddenly broke at Week 37. Went ahead with csect too!

Not to scare you but induce is the worst nightmare ever which i hope nobody have to go thru. The cervix check itself is already painful, to add on theyll need to insert the pill way inside your vagina, which to me is painful. If doesnt work or no dilation for 24hr, youll need to be induced again. For me baby is in good position, good weight, no complication etc all good for natural. Bb still didnt want to come out and no dilation at my 38 weeks so gynae told me to choose a date to induce. So i chose on my edd in hoping bb wants to come out before edd. But nope. And after 3 induction, still no progress, has to doe emergency csect. After 3 days of induction/labor/painful contraction. And yes induce is very very painful cause it forces contraction😭😭 my first birth is my most traumatic. Even after 7 weeks im still in pain and i still cannot accept i had to do ecsect Emergency csec can happen for alot of reason. Poor progress, no dilation, Baby in distress even if youre 10cm, baby poop inside, baby heartbeat drop, baby cannot comeout even if 10cm etc.

Read more
VIP Member

Its true what everyone says. If induce the pain is crazy and most likely needs epidural. I had to induce because my baby was in distress and pooped but somehow the team managed to 'eject' baby and avoided emergency c sect. However baby came out with no heartbeat n everyone ran to the NICU kind of drama. I kinda saw it in slowmo and couldn't process it haha. Anyways the best experience i heard were no induce even after 39 weeks (most gynae wants baby out at 39 regardless of factors) and most moms had no epidural if no induction btw! So lucky 🦆 Im not sure about the water bag breaking and doing c sect. But u can elect for c sect if gynae is okay with it. Some people i know prefer csect over natural even though baby n mom was safe. My pain tolerance is horrible too so i hope u avoid induce and go natural as long as u guys are SAFE even if it means week 40 or 41. C sect stories of pain usually after labour not during haha so thats something to consider during recovery. Good luck

Read more
TapFluencer

my #1 - i was 40 weeks 5 days, no signs of labour. i told the doctor to induce me cos i was tired of being pregnant. lol. so i went through 29 hours of labour, without epi. managed to deliver naturally. almost needed to go for csect because doctor already burst my water bag. phew. #2 - 23 hours of labour and when i reached hospital, i was already 8cm dilated. i was already in pain at home but i thought it was because of the cervix check they did earlier in the day. delivered naturally too. #3 - decided to turn head up and legs down during week 36 and no chance of turning back. sigh. doctor asked if i wanted to let him try to turn him, but of course there were risks involved and i might end up with an emergency c-section. so i skipped it and went for csect at the date given. if you ask me, i’d 💯 choose natural birth over csect. csect recovery was taking a toll on me 😭

Read more

Hey there, regardless of how ‘painless’ or smooth going a c-section may be, do still bear in mind that it is a major abdominal surgery that cuts through 7 layers of tissue to get to your baby. It is a lot for the body to undergo so recovery will take longer and you’ll need to take care of your scar tissue well to make sure you heal properly without any chronic pain or tightness in the area. Your body is intelligent and baby will come out when ready. Remember that 40 weeks is just an estimation not an expiry date!! And it is true that chemical induction will produce stronger contractions. So do talk to your doctor to see what’s the best recommendation without undergoing unnecessary interventions. Whatever you choose, make sure it is an informed decision and all will be fine! All the best :)

Read more

I’m all for natural for my first pregnancy but after inducing twice, my body can’t dilate fast enough. In the end my hub and I made the choice not to put my baby at risk so did emergency c sect. The c sect was so fast and I was done in 30mins. I don’t remember how bad was the pain and I recovered quite fast from it. To be honest, I was quite upset that I can’t have a natural delivery but ultimately it’s more important for baby and I to be safe and healthy. I took a few months to process that things don’t go my way.

Read more

Went for induction at 40+3. Did 3 rounds of induction but ultimately did e csec at 40+5 as baby's heart rate kept dropping. was dilated to 6cm but couldn't deliver naturally, so did csec. I did get epidural,but I was alrdy planning on getting it anyway. After the epidural, you won't feel much pain alrdy. I wasn't traumatised as I'm pretty ambivalent about natural or csec. As long as baby and I are safe, that's all that matters.

Read more

I opted for c sect cause I know for sure that the process of natural birth is not for me. Did it on week 37 due to the availability of my gynae. Everything went smoothly, didn’t feel a thing when they did the spinal injections. My recovery is good too. No regrets.

6mo ago

I see. I wonder why? I was also 1cm dilated and our gynae picked the date for us 🤣

For my case, my lo was in breech position and my water bag broke at wk 35 so had to go through emergency c sect. I am afraid of pain too and chose c sect but it still came way earlier.