Any good toilet training methods for my 3 year old boy? He knows how to tell us if he wants to pee, but when it comes to pooing, he will hide and poo, then tell me with a 'sorry mummy, I pooed'...

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi Kimberly! May I share this to you and you can give it a try too. :) I started potty training my son at the age of 2. We first focus on the pooping then pee. I know the schedule of his poop and it normally happens when he wakes up in the morning or after his first meal. I am pretty sure you know his schedule right? So before he started to poop on his diapers. I bring him to the toilet already and encourage him to push. I don't rush him. The first attempt took me like 45minutes! The moment he saw that he was able to do it, he will be more encourage to do so. Make sure you give him encouraging words such as " Let's try pooping " or try "making pooping sounds". " You can do it" just don't forget to praise him afterwards and lastly, have a lot of patience. No force no rush! Hope this could help! :)

Read more

I had the same with my son. Its heartbreaking. He was afraid of the splash in the toilet...We had to bring him to Doc and put him on movicol. He ended up in hospital once or twice as he held it in for weeks. It's a tough one. He didn't outgrow it into he was 6 yes of age and even now he won't go unless he really has too. He is a very plain eater no fruit or vegetable. He drinks alot of water.A very plain eater and he is 7 now.

Read more

My friend's son is also the same, will only not poo in potty. You can try whichever that works for him. Does he need to be alone when pooing? Does he need to read a book? A comfort item to help him relax, could be a favorite stuffed animal or toy? Don't forget to be generous with your praises and encouragement once he poo in the potty! Be patience with him, I'm sure he will get it one day.

Read more

I think you may need to find out what is holding him back when it comes to pooing. I'm guessing he may have some fears or concerns. Worried about falling in, or scared of the sound of the flush (if you are using regular toilet bowls)? Here is an article that you may find helpful: http://www.whattoexpect.com/toddler/behavior/potty-training-problem-refusing-to-poop.aspx Good luck there!!

Read more

Same as my son when he is 4 yr old refuse to go toilet just standing to poo inside the diapers, it took very long time to approach him toilet seat. Just train slowly, he will outgrow when going to pre school.