Am I the only one who finds people who insist on sanitising their hands every time before handling a baby strange? I feel washing your hands is good enough. One cannot possibly sanitise the world and it could lower your baby's immunity.. Does it? I would do it if the parent prefers it , of course :) Any thoughts mummies?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Oh yeah I've met these kind of parents hahah. I'd humour them at first and acede to their request but I know better next time, and not offer to hold or play with their babies haha. Personally, I believe that being too overprotective will do more harm for the child in the long run but hey, it's not my kid so i will just respect the parents' wishes anyway. I wouldn't want someone telling me I'm a bad mother for letting my kids play in the sandpit at the playground.

Read more

Personally for me, washing hands thoroughly with soap is good. The younger the ️baby, the more vulnerable they are to germs. So my rule of thumb is, when we handle our own ️baby is Okie, we do what we feel is good for our child .. But if I wanna handle other people's ️baby , it will be good to jus agree to their terms . Afterall, none of us wants to see any young babies falling sick due up unclean hands . Jus my two cents worth of thoughts

Read more
VIP Member

My parents raised me with a very strict dicipline that we must wash hand with soap. We never use hand sanitizer or alcohol something like that because it will killed good bacteria too. When i become a mummy, i choose to be worry free mum. As long people wash his hand, no kissing my baby, and ask permission to me. I'll be fine. I don't want to be hygiene freak or annoying type of new mum

Read more

Personally, I sanitised my hands every time when I had to touch my baby when she was in her first month just to be safe. Now, I just clean my hands with soap because she's older and stronger now. It's probably a personal preference. I would say the older they are, the stronger they should be and hence we can be more relaxed about sanitizing.

Read more

So far I have not met such parents. But i think many will be offended. Somehow, these parents are just taking extra precautions as newborn is still very vulnerable, so I will still adhere if the baby is super duper cute. If not so cute, i wont try to touch it. Lol

VIP Member

Isn't it better to wash hands vs sanitize? Also I guess it would depend on how young the baby is and if he/she was a preemie or high risk baby.