How long does it take to go into labor after 4 cm dilated?

36 weeks, 3 days. Yesterday around 7 pm, I was 1 cm dilated. Had regular contractions every 2 - 5 minutes and when checked the cervix at 10.25 pm, I was 4 cm dilated already. Contractions still continues until today. Cervix checked again but unfortunately the dilation progress has stopped, still at 4 cm. I don't know how long I will be admitted in the hospital because low chance that I will be discharge due to contractions and I'm already 4 cm dilated. The doctors are afraid that I might go into early labor. For now, I just took panadol for pain relief. I'm planning to get induce at 37 weeks since it's considered full term already. I took 2 jabs of steroid to mature baby lungs. What concerned me is that I may or may not deliver before 37 weeks. The doctor told me that there is risk delivering baby at 36 weeks, low risk but there's no need to be in NICU. They can't induce me before 37 weeks because it's against the law unless if my waterbag burst or I'm progressing (dilation)

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

impossible to know. was at 3cm for 12 hours then went to 5cm in 2 hours. my hubby went out to get something and in that short time (less than 2 hours) i reached 10cm!! he barely reached on time to see me start pushing.