My 2 months old baby always crying during evening time? Is that because of colic?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sounds like the "Witching hours" - about 20% of the time it's caused by colic. The rest 80% could be: 1. Overtiredness If your bub doesn’t have the best sleep patterns, overtiredness may be the reason for his nighttime fussiness. Over time, as your baby misses more and more sleep, his sleep debt grows. And he eventually gets to a point where he’s so exhausted and overtired that he simply wails or fusses non-stop. 2. Overstimulation In most of our homes, daytime is far more stimulating than nighttime. There’s light and noise and loads of activity. And even though your baby isn’t exactly participating in all that activity, she’s certainly witnessing it. All of that can combine to make her feel overstimulated, and that can cause her to fuss. 3. Tummy Trouble Gas can cause discomfort and that discomfort can lead to some real wailing by your little one. And if you’re nursing, the foods you eat could be contributing to your baby’s tummy issues. 4. Needing to “tank up” on milk Some experts have noticed that babies tend to “cluster feed” in the evening. In other words, they have far more frequent feeds in the evening than they normally do throughout the rest of the day, sometimes feeding once every hour (or more!). It seems like once they finish nursing, or taking a bottle, they’re crying for more within 30 or 40 minutes. Of course, this can be frustrating for parents, but experts theorize that babies may need to do this in order to sleep longer stretches at night. Often, babies who cluster feed will have their longest stretch of sleep after their cluster feeds are over. So that evening fussiness may be baby’s way of initiating some cluster feeds. 5. Getting less attention When you think about what’s happening around your house in the early evening, what comes to mind? Do you have older kids who are coming home from school? Is your hubby coming home from work? Are you in the kitchen, working to get food ready and on the table? Babies may get lonely and that's why they are screaming for your attention.

Read more
6y ago

Thank you for the advices. My baby is crying lesser now and better if compare to last time. Maybe I should pay more attention to him as sometimes too busy to handle my older kids. :)

Sounds like colic to me, which is uncontrollable, non stop crying in an otherwise healthy baby. The crying often happens in the late afternoon and evening, and increases over the weeks until it reaches a peak. However, rest assured that babies grow out this colic crying phase between 3 months to 4 months. Studies have shown that colic could likely be due to a part of your baby's normal development. Baby's brain is busy processing all the information he or she sees and hears, hence it is inevitable that baby gets a bit irritable after a long day of learning new things.

Read more
6y ago

Thank you for the advices as my baby crying lesser now and better in the evening. Guess he might already reach the peak liao. :)