my 1yo boy wouldn't let me brush his teeth and wouldn't take his medication..help!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi maybe you can try brushing your teeth in front of him to stimulate his curiosity and let him hold the toothbrush to try out on his own? Read some books that encourage habits like teeth brushing too. My gal loves to chew things so I let her chew the toothbrush first before I brush for her. What brand of toothbrush are you using by the way? If he still resist no choice have to distract him with something. Like my gal refuse to stay still for diaper changes or changing clothes , I have no choice but to whip out hp for her to watch for that five mins. I know it is not good but still have to get the things done ultimately. I won't want to make them scared by forcing onto them and some kids are just stubborn. As for medicine , I will have to ask my parents and husband to hold her down and use syringe to inject into the back of her mouth. She defintely will struggle but this is something that can't be compromised so I will just do it quickly . In fact my gal knew that she can't escape from it so slowly she just lie there quietly to drink the Med. Sometimes if we give in too much they will know and put up a struggle. Another method is to put the Med into his milk but you have to separate out two bottles. One bottle of milk with about 50ml milk and the med so that they will finish it. The balance of the milk in another bottle

Read more
8y ago

thanks for the tips..! will try hp if all else fails hehhh

Perhaps you can consider letting him brush by himself first then you follow up with another round. I explain to my toddler (then and now) that I just want to check and make sure she got every tooth cleaned so that she doesn't get any decay. We also read a picture book about tooth decay and explained the negatives about it so she could understand. As for medication, I always give my lo advance notice that we have to take the medication and I keep asking if she's ready to take them. maybe you can ask if he wants to read a book first then take the medicine? If you have those doctor toy set, I find those helpful in role playing and explaining to the lo why they need medication. I also found using a syringe versus spoon feeding the medication. (at least I don't have to worry about the spills.) This link below is pretty good reference. http://www.janetlansbury.com/2016/02/the-secret-to-helping-kids-take-medicine-without-a-spoonful-of-sugar/

Read more
8y ago

txs Yvonne!:))