Would you restrict your dog/cat to come near your newborn?

Post image
88 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It really depend. I have sensitive nose, so my kids tends to have too. And my jack russell fur drop like crazy. He just need to shake his butt and fur can seem dropping around. And my dog have this on off eating his own poo problems, hence i have make sure he didn't ate his own poo before he went kissing my kids. Anyway, the kids auto love to play with him, in fact they know when they don't want to eat their food, where should they bring it to.. To the dog

Read more

Nah, my dog was super protective when I brought my newborn home. She don’t let anyone to go near to her except us (her parents), she sleeps beside my nb when she’s napping. I do afraid my dog will accidentally hurt my nb too, I will watch them when they are close to each other but my dog is a small dog, I will prolly be stricter with my dog if she’s bigger in size.

Read more

I will not restrict but will keep an eye on their interaction. While pets, especially dogs, are known to be more patient and tolerant to babies, sometimes it could be an accidental tag from the baby that illicit a natural instinctual respond from the pet. In general, I think there's more good than harm to have a baby grow up with the family's furkid(s). :)

Read more

If your dog or cat is not aggressive and does not attack, i dont see a reason why you need to restrict it to go near ur new born. It is good for both baby and dog/cat to bond as it can help part of the development growth of the child. Not only this, the dog/cat will not feel neglected in the sense that they may or may not attack ur new born due to jealousy

Read more

Yes, baby still can’t defend themselves for anything and everything can happen. I love my dogs but there’s a line between human and animals. Animal did not brush teeth or shower twice a day. So it’s no no to be interacting with my new born baby. Bacteria and disease are not my pet so it’s a big NO! to be around my newborn baby.

Read more

I do not have pet at home. If it's other people's pet I will not allow at all as I do not know the pet's temperament whether it will hurt my baby or not. If if is my own pet, I will make sure I monitor closely whenever it goes near to my baby and at the same time ensure it I am still loving it although there is an additional family member.

Read more

No, I wouldn't restrict because my pets are vaccinated and free from diseases etc. As long as the interaction is supervised, there is nothing to worry about. Studies have shown that a child's emotional, cognitive, social and physical development can all be encouraged by interacting with pets.

TapFluencer

I would say Yes. Firstly because the newborn immune is not strong yet, I’m not gonna risk it and dogs can get pretty excited especially big dogs. I have 4 big cats and 4 kittens plus 2 big Spanish Mastiff dogs. They are guard dogs. So I’m not taking any chances.

Nope. My dog is technically my “first kid”, so there is a need for him to accept a new family member! I allow supervised interaction, and introduced my newborn to my dog when i first get home! Its all well and good ever since!

Newborn, yes. Due to furs and their mouths and butts. But after a few months, they are free to interact. I have a dog and she's sanitised everyday after walks, cleaned after every meal, poo and pee. But I'm still cautious.