Parents that we can’t choose

Just wondering if anyone grew up in a not so conducive environment? Growing up my father always like to throw things around the house whenever he gets angry. I never knew this was wrong until much later. My mum wld always tolerate him and ask us not to make him angry. But now that I have a toddler in the same household, he doesn’t throw things but he likes to slam door and shout loudly. My mum on the other hand likes to criticise us whatever we do, calling us stupid, fat, poor etc. Never receive any compliments from them. I feel bad for my toddler because I wonder how much of this he’s taking in. We still have at least 2 more years to stay with them before my new flat arrives. Can’t wait to move out.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

are you me? I feel like you spoke on my behalf too hahahahaha I can’t exactly understand how you feel because I’ve since moved out ever since I got married. I got married for the wrong reason- to get out of a toxic family/parents. It didn’t make things any better because of the psychological effects it had on me. Neither is my husband any better but I’d like to think I’m living with a house mate. Honestly, it helps if you have a supportive husband who makes things feel better. I know waiting for a place you can call your own may be extremely long but maybe try renting out? If that’s not possible, take time off from the home everyday 🥰

Read more