First Trimester - Private Clinics or KKH

Hi all, my wife and I just found out that we are expecting. We are currently looking for a private gynae, but we are thinking if we should use KKH for the first trimester checkups instead. The reason for doing so is that we haven't decided on a private gynae yet. Also, we are thinking that it might be more economical to use KKH for the first trimester, since the tests during the first trimester seems pretty standard. From the second trimester onwards, we plan to use a private gynae. We are first time parents so we are clueless on this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, first time parent as well. I went through the public route to save on some money. Go to polyclinic for a referral. You have an option of KKH, NUH and SGH. Dr mentioned all about same price. See your personal comfort level with the hsp. Initially I wanted to switch to private hsp but upon consulting with a friend who’s a dr. She gave me the confidence that our public healthcare system is good. In the event of major complications, private hsp will send baby to public nicu. What I have done is to switch to private within a public hospital. I did the switch at the 20 week mark, that’s when a package is available. One thing to note is that public clinics do not allow you to choose a gynae. If you want to see a particular dr it’s considered as private. Same for if you want to choose A ward, also considered as private. Hope it all works out!

Read more

congrats! if u want to go thru subsidised route, then u need to get a referral letter from the polyclinic. yes you will save a lot more under subsidised and tests are cheaper as well, esp, oscar or nipt test.