When do you start to train your child to use potty?

34 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The first step towards training your little one to use the potty is to make sure that your child is not constipated. “Children’s are afraid of the toilet and the whole process of getting in a cold wet small room. If you are not an expert in knowing about the constipation, get them to a doctor when you see signs of them not eating well or change of mood. Increase the amount of fluid and fiber in their daily diet. Water plays an import role in helping your child staying healthy and helping to digest easily. Give lots of water and encourage with praise when they drink. Fiber enriched food for kids include; Barley, Baked Beans, Split Peas, Oat Bran, Green Peas, Spinach, Broccoli, Raisins, Mixed Vegetables, Strawberries, Carrots, Potatoes, Corn, Rice, Apples, Oranges and Celery, ” shares mum Jennifer. The next step is to assess his or her readiness to start using the potty. This is very essential and many parents make the mistake of pushing their child too early, only to face the music later. Believe me, toddlers can be stubborn and you need to cajole them into accepting this new routine. No amount of anger or frustration will help get them to use their potty. It would do you good to remember that all children are different. So, potty training ages would also differ from one child to the other. The third step is to get a good potty, which is comfortable and liked by your child. If possible, have your child select his or her potty as this will help in the long run. I know this might sound silly to you but believe me when I tell you that some toddlers are very specific as to the kind of potty they want and will use. I remember a niece of mine who made a living hell for my sister when she insisted on peeing only in a pink potty. My sister was travelling at that time and forgot to bring her usual potty so she settled for one from the local store. However, my niece was not buying it — no amount of cajoling helped as she continued to pee and poop in her diapers. Only when my cousin got her another pink potty, similar to the one she used at home, did she get onto the potty again. The fourth stage is to create a routine where the toddler uses the potty so as to get himself/herself familiarized with the process. You could start by placing your toddler fully clothed on the potty while explaining the process. Ideally, this should be done at a time when you know your toddler is most likely to have bowel movements. Make sure that he or she is really comfortable. You can place it in the living room or anywhere outdoors initially. Later, of course, you can both remove the diaper when the child is ready and also move to the bathroom. Training pants are a good addition at this point as they help you in your endeavor. However, at all stages, be ready for a relapse or regression to earlier behavior and be sure to treat the situation calmly. Additionally, if there are any accidents, handle it calmly and never make it an issue. Remember you should never make potty training a power struggle issue as this will make your child rebel against it and will not help you attain final success. Always remember that day and night training does not happen simultaneously. So, it would help to train your toddler during the day before you try night training. Last but not the least, it is important to understand that potty training for peeing and pooping also happens at different stages.

Read more