What's your recommendation of check ups/screening on normal child with high risk (eg myopic parents) in terms of frequency, and which specialist (optician vs ophthalmologists) ?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Thank you for your question, Sein-Tze. According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, "Individuals who do not have symptoms but who are at high risk of developing ocular abnormalities related to systemic diseases, such as diabetes mellitus and hypertension or who have a family history of eye disease, require periodic comprehensive eye examinations to prevent or minimize visual loss". More information can be found here: http://www.aao.org/clinical-statement/frequency-of-ocular-examinations--november-2009 In terms of whether you should see an optician and ophthalmologist, if your eyes are healthy and do not require specialized medical/surgical treatment, the type of specialist you do see is up to your personal preference. This page is useful in distinguishing between an optician and an ophthalmologist: http://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-doctor/choose.htm

Read more