What do you do when your 4-month-old baby starts to bite your nipples?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There are few reasons baby bites/plays with the nipple: 1. Biting at the end of a nursing session: baby normally is full already/not long interested in latching. Do watch for signs of boredom, and take baby from the breast before the biting starts. 2. When baby is teething: offer him/her a teething toy and tell him this is for biting, please be gentle when nursing. Repeat this for few times and he will get the idea.

Read more

I'm not sure if this has scientific explanation (or maybe I'm just lucky, haha) but this is what did. Even before she has no teeth yet, around 2mos old I would always whisper in her ears 'Please don't bite Mama, Mama will get hurt.' I keep doing this until her 1st tooth started to erupt, and yes it looks like she listen to me. She never bite me until now that she has 7 teeth already.

Read more

My baby's 21 mons old already & she had a habit to bite and pinch my nipple while breastfeeding. I talk to her and tell her that "nanay is getting hurt". If she will not stop, I will slowly remove my nipple and tell her that she cannot have "dede" if she will continue to bite my nipples. It's effective. Doing this since she was 6 mons old.

Read more

try not to react from it and stop breastfeeding for awhile then look to him/her showing that it's not good, then continue feeding, if it happens again, repeat the same process,I know it's hard not to react because it hurts big time and sometimes our lo's are smiling and looking what will be our reaction and making fun of it. I hope this helps

Read more

dont react, stop breastfeeding session and say 'no biting' to your baby. Resume breastfeeding when baby is calmer. Don't react as baby will keep biting to draw reaction from us.