What local food brands are most reliable here in the Philippines? Specifically for baby food

1 Reply
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Hi. How old is your little one? If he or she is already 6 months old, you may already start looking for some clues that he is ready to begin eating solids like - able to keep his heady in a steady, upright position - Losing the extrusion reflex - Able to sit upright when supported - Displays more and more curiosity about what you are eating As for me, you might not need local brands of baby food. What you can introduce to your baby are our indigenous fruits like banana (latundan and saba), melon and other fruits that are in season. Also, introduce all the vegetables mentioned in the song Bahay Kubo except for nuts which you can introduce when he is over one year old already. You can start with one mashed (not pureed) fruit or veggie a day. Just be patient and remember not to add any salt, sugar or other spices to his food. For our little one, his first food was mashed squash with breastmilk. At first, he would just stare at the spoon, and then what I did was put the spoon slowly to his mouth so that he will be familiar with it. And everyday, I prepare and steam the vegetables he will be eating for the whole day. Preparing the food for the baby need not be stressful. The vegetables and fruits that the entire family will be eating for the day can also be eaten by your baby. Just be sure to mash, steam or boil, and don't put spices to his food. Just keep on offering. And don't force him to eat. Just like our little one, when he does not anymore open his mouth it means his full already or he is still chewing the food. Happy feeding :)

Magbasa pa