What is the criteria for you to choose a nanny?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This list was given by an Maid Agency to its clients and the client says from her experience that it works. 1) At least 35 years old. Reason: Should have certain maturity and enough life-experiences. Try not to get helpers who are reaching 40 years old. 2) Married. Reason: So that they will not look for a boyfriend. 3) Have at least 2 kids. Reason: They have REAL experience of handling kids. 4) The kids must be at least 10 years old. If one of the kid is about 14-15 years old, it's even better. (Important) Reason: So that the helper wouldn't have to miss their kids and at least they have done their part as a mother for their initial 10 years. 5) Worked as a helper before. (Optional) Reason: They know what is expected of becoming a helper. 6) Worked as a helper but NOT in Singapore. (Optional) Reason: There is a lesser chance that they have friends in Singapore. 7) Husband is still alive. (Optional) Reason: They won't look for a new husband. To me, the first 4 criteria are the most important. (5) to (7) can be optional. If you base on this list, most of the time you will have higher chance of getting helpers that are honest and hardworking. A note to (4), I would recommend to get helper with kids who are 14-15 years old. You see, most of the time, these helper want to work in Singapore because they want to pay/save-up for their children's college and/or University education, which is the reason why (4) is an important criteria. These helper won’t be much adventurous because they need the money to fund their kid's education.

Read more
VIP Member

For me, the nanny must know how to love children and treat the children like her own kids. A mother always will do the best for their own children. If the nanny treats the kids like her own, she will care for the kids with all her best. Importantly, hygiene is also a big factor. Nanny must be a clean and hygienic person.

Read more

She should be loving and caring. She should be such that if I have to leave my kid with her, I would absolutely have no doubts about whether she will be able to manage him nicely or not. She should have that inherent warmth in her, which you see as soon as you see the person.

VIP Member

Love children, passionate about her job, and easy to mingle. I want her to be my son bestfriend, not just someone who nap him or feed him when i go to work.