What are the best source of proteins for vegetarian children? How much should be the daily intake for different age levels?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Foods like eggs, milk, and vegetarian foods such as spinach, soybean, quinoa, whole grains, rice, beans, legumes, corn, oats, peas and nut butters are good sources of high protein foods. I came across this website which features protein rich vegetarian recipes suitable for kids that you might want to try out. Seems really good! http://www.todaysparent.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes-kids-will-love/ Generay, kids between 1 and 3 should consume 1.1 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight each day. The recommended dietary allowance, the amount necessary to meet the needs of 97 to 98 percent of healthy kids in this age group, is 13 grams per day.

Read more

On top of what has been mentioned by Nooraini, you can try Quorn if your child is above a year old. Quorn is a vegetarian source of protein. Quorn is a mycoprotein, which means it’s made from fungi, such as mushrooms and not soya based like textured vegetable protein. I've personally tried quorn and it tastes really good. My vegetarian friends in Sweden do feed their kids Quorn products on top of other sources of proteins like quinoa, corn, spinach, tofu and nuts. However, do note that some people have reported allergic reactions to mycoprotein, but this is rare.

Read more
Post reply image