Reading to your child

At what age did you stop reading to your child at bedtime? #reading

Reading to your child
27 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

up vote 21As a teacher, parent, I can tell you that there is no end to the benefits of reading to your children. I would encourage that you continue reading aloud with your children even into high school. Beyond the valuable bonding time it provides you with your child it allows for a number of educational benefits. First, even when a child can read, they need to keep building skills such as fluency which can be learned from hearing stories read aloud. Additionally, it sets the tone that reading is important. Being a reader is the number one predictor of student success. If you encourage your child to be a reader and show them it is so important that you take time every day to do it with them, it sends a powerful message to you kids. There is no need to use a bunch of different voices to effectively teach your kids to be readers. I have been reading to my daughter since before she was born and I have every intention to continue reading to her until she is grown and leaves our home.

Read more

I would say reading the bedtime stories for my child as long as she is willing to let me do so and shows interest in it. It is not only a great opportunity for parent child bonding but it also foster an appreciation of reading. Eventually, we will reach a point where they feel they are too old or they are ready to beon their own for that and i suspect we could wind up this habit. i guess there is no age limit for it. It all depends on your child's pace and comfortability. i would just go with the flow.

Read more

I think it should continue as long as your children want to be read to, even after they're able to read independently. To me, it's a daily bonding time between my girls & I. For my 6-yr-old, I read to her, sometimes she reads part of the story, and then we discuss about the book too. It's something she still looks forward to Everyday. :)

Read more

I would continue reading to my child, no matter is we parent read to kids or kids read to us. It is good because I myself feel that kids will open up them self talking to us. This will help that once kids grow older they will still open them self to us parent. Sorry that my English not so good.

I guess it would be okay to continue reading until one day he/she doesn't requires you to do so? I look at it as a bonding session with my child and I really enjoy it a lot. I do hope it do not stop soon as I'm always afraid of him growing up too fast.

think there is no fixed stage of stopping.. u can read till whenever u wish to.. its a kind of bonding time too... now my #1 will be a little teacher at times to read to his little brother..

Most of my friends continue till their children are going to primary school. Mostly till their children request for the reading to stop.. and this is when they start reading on their own. ;)

Try to read for them as long as they want. We will not set any age limit to stop reading. This is good for family bonding and one of the way to nurture a love of reading in kids.

VIP Member

I love bedtime stories time with my child as I take it as the best time to bond & communicate with my child. I will love to have this special time until she doesn't wish to.

I still do. They are 8 and 10 years old I don’t ready to them every night but, if they ask me to read them a story I will my hole life pauses and I read.