Are pregnant ladies allowed to visit columbarium? Qing Ming festival soon

Was wondering if there’s any Chinese superstition about this, aware that pregnant ladies supposed to avoid funerals or wakes but not sure about columbarium? Thanks! In my first trimester

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I went to columbarium. For annual cleaning for my late fil and grandmother but tried to avoid going during peak periods such as Qing Ming. And I also avoid funerals if those are ppl that I can afford to not go. Usually ppl are understanding if they know you’re pregnant after you announce. It really depends. If *touch wood* close relative I will go. Also depends on how superstitious your fam is. My fam is not superstitious. :) but I will try to avoid if possible still. :)

Read more

My MIL and hubby didn’t allow me to go to the columbarium at all. And I also didn’t attend my baby niece’s funeral when she passed at 12 days old. Family members will be understanding of our situation as they know that pregnant women have a lot of pantang. As hubby and I have been trying for 4 years and this is our first pregnancy, also that we’re having twins, I just listen to all the don’ts that my elders tell me. Better to be safe than sorry.

Read more
1y ago

Thank you! 🥰

my in-law and mother ask me to avoid mainly bcos of the smoke, heat and crowd. And also, scare we fall down. Also abit pantang.. they say baby 三魂七魄 will be scare away by unseen forces causing baby to be born with disabilities.

My mum didn't let me go for the qing ming prayers at the bright hill. Not sure if it's due to superstition or just prefer to have me avoid excessive crowd and smoke....

Super Mum

I'm 31w3d pregnant and my dad ask me not to go for Qing Ming this year, he mentioned he will tell my late grandfather that I'm pregnant on my behalf.

its better not to attend any wake or funeral during your pregnancy. Avoid any bad things to happen to your baby spiritually.

Thanks for the replies! Not sure how to tell my mum cos it’s still early and I don’t plan to tell until 2nd trimester 😩

1y ago

last yr I didn't know I was already preg when I went to do QingMing. asked some "fengshui" / pantang friends, they told me is ok since praying to own family ancestors = form of respect. some even say happy event cannot clash with another happy event, like preg cannot attend wedding. but I also did. I just don't go funeral wakes. but all depends on your comfort level (&your hub's). no right no wrong

TapFluencer

was advised not 😢