Wanna ask .. Is it normal for a baby to go through the vicious cycle of falling sick and recovering from sick when they enter infant care? I'm up at this hour to monitor my 11 months old daughter's fever .. She has been falling sick v often till my childcare leave all used up :( parents who sent your LO to infant care , do u have similar problem as me or am I the only 1 gg through all these ? I'm soooo... Tired :(

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, it is quite common for them to fall sick once they enter infant care. Their immunity is still weak and unfortunately being confined in an environment with other children that are potentially sick (like runny nose, flu, cough) exposes them to the same virus. Even my baby that is not going to infant care gets her fair share of runny nose and cough from her 2 school going brothers. It is hard to avoid as we can't just separate them everyday. Alot of the viruses are also air borne. What you can consider doing is to feed your LO some supplements to boost his immunity. Childlife have a first defense supplement that can be consumed from 6 months onwards :- http://sg.iherb.com/ChildLife-First-Defense-4-fl-oz-118-5-ml/6367 Otherwise, Sambucol is also another good option, however please note there are 2 versions - US and UK. The US version is for 2 above, the UK version is for 1 and above. So please make sure you buy the correct one. I buy mine online direct from UK here http://www.echemist.co.uk/product/sambucol-black-elderberry-extract-formula-for-children

Read more

Hi it is very normal as babies immunity is not strong yet. Almost all babies go through the stage of keep falling sick when they first start childcare, infant care or school. Eventually their immunity will build up as they get older. This is also the main reason why I refuse to send my baby to infant care as long as I can drag. Once your baby turns 1 year old you may try to feed him sambucol which helps to build their immunity and also lessen the symptoms of flu. If your baby keeps falling sick it may also be good to check on the hygiene level of the infant care she is in. Do they sanitize the place properly? What we all need to do is to stop sending our babies to infant care until they fully recover. Sometimes I do not understand how virus will spread if parents are vigilant and refrain from sending sick kids to school. Even after they recover From fever they may still have runny nose and cough, during this stage bacteria still can spread. Hope your gal recovers soon!

Read more

Every child is unique. Once you are handed a life, be ready to make huge changes for it.... infant care should seriously be avoided for so many reasons from their frail immunity to their need to bond to feel secure. Take time to cuddle your child often, sing to him/her, talk gently and really observe their needs. A weakened foundation emotionally and physically will have long term costs... speaking as a parent and counselor and life coach. Be brave to make the tough calls! take care fellow parents!

Read more
VIP Member

Yes it's totally normal. Give your LO more time to adapt to their enviroment and build it's immunity up. Consider giving some multi vitamins to help boosting it's immune system

Read more

My son has been falling sick like forever. I thought i was the only one. Glad to know that I'm not the only one.

Totally normal. on a brighter side when they fall sick means each time their immune system gets stronger too.