Lying on tummy

Understand it’s not recommended to lie on tummy. But sometimes I still prefer to, even for awhile. At which week of pregnancy should I stop myself from lying on tummy? What’s risk of lying on tummy besides squashing the baby?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Depends on how fast your bump grows. Don’t listen to others. Every pregnancy is different. If you feel something hard when you lie on your tummy then stop. You can endanger your own baby and can cause stillbirth. It can also cause limited blood supply to your baby. It’s basically not an ideal position, so just stop. Like it or not, you have to get used to NOT lying on your tummy or your back for too long. Practise now cause 3rd trimester will be tougher with a big and heavy belly even when switching sides.

Read more

I used to be a tummy sleeper but I automatically went to sleeping on my sides after 12 weeks.. somehow it doesn't feel comfortable sleeping on my tummy anymore even though I don't really have a bump until 16 weeks onwards.. I've read that sleeping on my left is the best for my bb so I will make an effort to sleep on my left :)

Read more

U can try to get a pregnancy pillow! They use those at my prenatal Physio place and honestly I have been tempted to get one myself cos it’s so comfy to switch sleeping positions sometimes. I would say avoid prolonged lying on tummy but a short one with pillow under your hip should be ok

I don’t know the risk but you should probably stop when your bump is out? Sometimes when all positions don’t work for me I lie down front but in a squating position so my weight don’t go on my tummy.

Yo, I just want to say it feel so goooood to lie on my tummy after giving birth hahaha! But you should stop lying on your tummy at the week where your baby has a heartbeat.

My gynae said it’s okay to lie in any positions up till week 20. After that, she suggested lying on the left due to blood flow to the baby

I am a tummy person too.. but I started to consciously avoid after week 8 :)