Progesterone Pills

For those who are on Progesterone pills (esp Utrogestan), does your doctor measure your progesterone level before prescribing? Also, how high is your dosage? I am given 2 x 100 mg twice per day. Is that too high? My doc did not see the need to test my progesterone level.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

No, doc didn’t do a test. He prescribed me 1 tablet daily after my first checkup at week 6 and asked me to increase dosage to 3 tablets daily after week 8 when I returned to him and told him about spotting. Anyways, progesterone is good and helps stabilise the baby. I highlighted to my gynae that I have PCOS so he immediately put me on progesterone to reduce risk of miscarriage.

Read more
4y ago

A lot of seemingly side effects are actually same as that of preg symptoms. But because I did not feel these before my dosage increase, so I attributed to the pills. But I also read the side effects should lessen once the body got used to the level. 2 weeks until now it did not. So I really cannot tell if it is just due to the preg or the side effect of the pills.

I am in my second trimester (5 months 12 days). I shifted to my hometown from Chennai and hence my doctor also changed. On my first visit my doctor prescribed progesterone tablets (TECHFEST 200).I wanted to know without any test, how come the doctor know my progesterone levels. Is it compulsory to take progesterone tablets without any test? Please help.

Read more
4y ago

No dear... Nothing like that 😊

VIP Member

Mine was the max dosage for utrogestan. 6 pills a day. I starteed from week 5 had to take till 12 weeks. The side effects of morning sickness was so bad that I had to take HL for 2 weeks. End up I cut down at 10th week and stopped at 11 weeks. Did a blood test at 12 weeks, seems ok.

4y ago

Thanks for your encouragement. Enduring as much as I can now and counting down. :)

I feel sleepy after eating Utrogestan. So I stopped and only eat duphaston. If u have side effect, talk to ur gynae to change it. My doc prescribe on my 1st appt without measuring. I think it’s fine. It’s good for bb

4y ago

Thanks. I will ask my doc in my next visit.

TapFluencer

No test. I took it once a day until 12 weeks to stabilise the pregnancy. Thank goodness I did because I was on a horrible bumpy bus ride to KL when I was on my 6th week.

Hi, i did bloodtest yesterday and it showed that may Progesterone is low. Will do another blood test tmr. Doc said he will give me supplements too.

4y ago

Injection is more effective. It is good they test and jab u based on outcome.

No test. Given at firys appt and twice daily. Should be to stable and no harm jus follow what gynae prescribed

4y ago

Same here. Given 2 tbl once a day initially. Then I continue to spot the following week and dosage increased to 4 tbl in twice a day without testing my my progesterone level.

VIP Member

My gynae has never prescribed but some do as part of their routine

4y ago

If you are really concern, why not ask ur gynae.

VIP Member

I took twice a day till birth. Bcoz of high chance of miscarriage.

4y ago

Thanks for sharing. Does your doctor test your progestrone level before prescribing the dosage? The side effect is killing me, I have taken close to 2 weeks for now. When did you start taking till giving birth?