Worried as there’s no heartbeat yet

Hi there i am having my very first pregnancy! I went for first scan last week (supposedly 10w if based on last menstrual date), however the doctor was unable to detect a heartbeat and i was advised to come back in another week to determine if baby has grown. I went to the a&e 3 days later as i experienced some bleeding and then found out that i am actually 6w2d based on the ultrasound and that the foetus has grown slightly. However, still no heartbeat and the gynae in charge mentioned to still come back on the repeat visit. Today was my repeat visit and after the ultrasound, there was still no heartbeat and baby has not really grown from the last a&e visit (this was approximately 4 days later from the a&e visit when i had the bleeding). I do not experience much bleeding anymore and the gynae still wants me to come back in another week’s time just to see if the pregnancy is still viable (i would be 7 weeks then). Should i even come again next week or wait till i’m supposedly maybe 9-10 weeks? It’s quite mentally draining when there’s no heartbeat and i feel super anxious knowing what’s the next outcome (it could really still be early). Would love to hear any advice please thank you so much!

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Heartbeat should appear anytime between 6-9 weeks, so don’t give up yet!! Slight bleeding is also normal, but the good thing is it has stopped. Try to relax and be positive because your mental state is very important too. I had a miscarriage at week 5 previously. Now I’m week 14, also FTM. Hang in there!

Read more

It really depends on individuals on when can detect the heartbeat. Some people only manage to detect at 10th week. If I were you, I will still go at 7th week as I will be anxious if I wait till 9 or 10 weeks.

I heard some people only hear the heartbeat at week 8 onwards. stay hopefully