Some things in your house are not supposed to be reached by your kids. Some are dangerous, some just very fragile. Do you teach your child to not touch these or do you ensure they are out of their reached / locked away?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I would do both. It is good practice to child proof your house and ensure that dangerous objects are out of reach. People are taught not to steal, but we have locks on our doors anyway. Children are naturally curious and while they can be taught not to touch dangerous objects, they might not always listen AND they might just touch it anyway. It is only right to keep medicines, brightly coloured detergents and powders on the highest shelves or locked away. I've ever seen my young cousin trying to stick her finger into a live power socket. It really gave me a huge shock. After ensuring that your house is child proofed, teach your child why it is dangerous and why he shouldn't touch them. For example, you could use a doll for role play and act out dangerous situations. Use the doll's arm to touch a boiling kettle and make give out a loud yelp. Get the child to ask as many questions as he wants while prompting the child to question the incident. "Why do you think the doll is hurting?" "What do you think will happen if you touch the kettle?" Here are some tips for child proofing your house: http://sg.theasianparent.com/baby-proofing-home/

Read more