Switch to direct latch

I’ve been doing exclusive pumping. Is it worthwhile to try to swtich to direct latch? I’m afraid that the milk flow will be too slow for baby now who is two months old

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes it’s worthwhile to try direct latching. It’s more convenient. You don’t have to bottles when u go out with him. Also don’t have to wash pump parts. But unfortunately have to always be the one feeding him. Maybe can try a mixture. It will also be easier for when you go back to work, if you do work. Cause some babies after latching, they refuse to be fed by bottle. So I think a mixture of both will be a good balance. Perhaps can bottle feed in the day and direct latch at night (easier too, don’t have to warm up the milk 😉)

Read more
Super Mum

Hi there mama, I feel you and I can understand your fears. The truth is that there will initially be a bit of an uphill climb as your body adjusts to the milk baby needs - the demand and supply tug of war as I call it. After a while though, things will fall into place. It’s teamwork between baby and you. Do remember to be gentle with yourself and be patient. Also, remind yourself that you’re doing such an important job - providing food for your baby! I promise it’ll be so rewarding :) sending much love

Read more
TapFluencer

I bf my baby 19 months and counting. I can tell you that latching is better than pumping. I only pump when I feel full most of the time I nurse. benefits of direct latch. convenient you can nurse on the go when you're out. you can calm baby down and let baby feel safe. if you don't know the reason of your baby fussiness just offer your boobs. the boobs do wonders. as for milk flow somehow it will adjust to baby's requirements.

Read more

I do both, bottle feeding and direct latching. Baby prefers to latch on and I find that nursing her directly also saves up time from the pumping and washing up of the bottles and parts.