Power shut down - what happen to freeze milk

This is quite a random but important question. Sometimes HDB have this power shut down for the whole blk for few hours whereby all electricity will be cut off. Which means, including our fridge and freezer. What if i have quite alot of frozen milk stash stored in my freezer? To save the milk, can i pack it in cooler bag with reusable ice bags and rush to my mum’s place (30 mins away) and store it back into her freezer for few hours ? And once power is back at my own house, i pack again using the same step and put back to my own freezer ? Or its not advisable? Any way to save the milk from going to waste? If i cant refreeze it in freezer and put in chiller instead, baby wont drink all the milk stash, what will happen to the remaining? #firsttimemom

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'd rather transfer it to another person's house. I had tt power shut down before and it went on for a few hours. Fortunately I stopped breastfeeding alr tt time. all my ice melted. I had taken my frozen milk for travelling before in a cooler bag with lots of ice packs. It was still frozen aft 3 hours so u can do tt. I'd rather save the milk and let it remain frozen under 0 degrees cz once it thaws, u can't freeze it again and has to be used soon after.

Read more

I wouldn’t move the bags, just keep the freezer close and don’t open it. It should be able to stay frozen in it for a few hours. Once the electricity is back on, you can check if you want to, if there are ice crystals in the packet, you can continue to refreeze them.

if you move the milk, confirm cannot use. no need to worry so much, just don’t open the freezer door and wait for the power to return. the cold from the packs can still retain inside. that’s all.