Milk sprays while pumping

Question: Am I supposed to see many sprays inside the flange as I pump? Cos I only see one spray, for maybe a minute max, then it will just be droplets slowly dripping and accumulating before flowing down to the valve. Am I not pumping correctly? Am FTM new to pumping, did csect 3 weeks ago. I use Spectra S1 pump, and I usually do Cycle 1, suction level 2 to 4, for 15 to 20 mins. Is this correct, or what will you suggest?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Not really. Our nipples can have 1 to 18 pores which made the sprays. I read this from Instagram on a lactation consultant's post. Really great info! As long as you have letdowns. I normally do cycle 70 which is for the massage mode at level 4-5 to get the letdown first. Probably in a minute to 3 minutes when it happen then I'll switch to the expression mode cycle 54 level 8-9 to get the most of my milk. Once it slows down, I'll repeat the same step until I get the 2nd letdown which may takes a while. Learnt this method from a lactation consultant too from a FB group under breastfeeding. Check your flange. Could also be the wrong size. Measure your nipple before pumping to get the correct size then plus 2-3mm. I've been using the wrong size all this while, no wonder I get very little amount. Used Real Bubee before this and it was the standard 24mm flange then I switched to using S1 with 21mm flange. Don't be discourage with your milk supply for now. Our supply may take up to 6 mths to establish so keep pumping, for your case 8-12 times a day. Try to follow groups or LC in Instagram. It really helps to build knowledge and make you feel confident that you can do it.

Read more