Is it ok to pat your baby back to help to spit out (to be exact vomit out) phlegm in her chest? My baby is just 4 mo, and have been coughing so bad. We are using nebulizer but I don't see its helpful as she is still coughing so bad. I am told to keep a watch till Friday to see if coughing will continue and becoming bronchitis. Any mum can share their experience? Thanks !

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

PD ever taught me before to cup my hands like a mountain and pat baby's back , best if baby facing downward so that gravity can make the phlegm come out. My gal was born with a lot of phlegm. I took her to PD in second month and she had her phlegm sucked out but not a lot came out. But what came out was very vey sticky. Then she was given phlegm Med. She finished the whole bottle but phlegm still there. I have learnt to live with her having phlegm permanently. It did get better but once a while she will sound like a lot of phlegm stuck inside her. You can bring her to YU Guo massage? Eh yang sang has this Hou Ning powder which is supposedly good for removing phlegm. Btw I am curious was yours a c sect or did she catch any virus?

Read more
7y ago

Mine is Csect but she got her phlegm mainly because of Cold..

Patting gently is fine but definitely not too hard as ur LO is still young. Neubeliser is to break down the phlegm to make ur LO be able to cough it out n breathe better. Too long might Lea to bronchitis and asthma if not careful. Do let ur LO sit up as there might be a backflow whenever she sleeps, causing her to cough more.

Read more

Patting gently could help but I find that rubbing the back slowly in an up and down motion helps coax out whatever that is held back inside. I agree with the mommy above, when it comes to baby's "young" respiratory system, best not to take any chances. Take your baby to the doctor if the coughs get more severe and frequent.

Read more
VIP Member

This is what i learnt from TCM doctor. No medication required. with your hand, in a cup shape, pat their entire back, side of chest and front. It will help to dislodge the phlegm. Do it firmly. It will help to dislodge the phlegm and the baby will vomit the phelgm out.

Read more

Yes patting your baby back (near the neck area) could help. I went to the Tcm for baby and this is the advice from them for my baby who is having phlegm. Patting at the back will helps the baby to cough it out.

Yes patting and rubbing helps. I often do it for both baby and my 3 year old. Please be careful and pat gently. Afterwhich if it continues do take baby back to the doctors.