Feeling stress

My newborn is only a week old. My mum tells me not to let BB cry so much because air might enter his tummy and make him uncomfortable. I explain that BB only cries when he's hungry, need a change of diaper or what not. And my mum handles my BB roughly during shower time and wearing clothes. I constantly remind her to be gentle. The other day my BB cried bloody murder for nearly 2 hours only to find out my mum went to sort of pluck out his umbilical cord cause its dropping soon. I feel very heartbroken. Luckily, the belly button seems fine. On the other hand, my MIL ask me to stop breastfeeding because she says I look pale, and most likely it's due to not having enough nutrients since young. She said my breastmilk will affect the growth of my son when he reaches puberty. She insist giving formula, and to give BB drink water after formula milk as its heaty. I told my husband no water until after 6 mths for BB. Pls advise, can newborns drink water or am I right? #pleasehelp #advicepls #1stimemom #StressedMom

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Omg. I can’t at the “pluck out the umbilical cord”. Such typical old wives and their nonsensical theories. Same like my mother. The crying part where air enters the stomach. She recently just discovered herself that newborns are not supposed to be given water. Maybe you can educate your family members with scientific research. Take control over your own baby. DO NOT MIND/CARE/MATTER WHAT OTHERS SAY OF YOU. Go in one ear and out the other. Make sure you do a lot of research when it comes to raising a child in this MODERN world. Our parents are just ridiculous lah.

Read more
2y ago

Same like my mom.. haha it’s just their mindset. I mean seriously, if doctors don’t know anything then why go to the doctor when they’re sick? 🥴 Why leave everything in doctor’s expertise when they’re diagnose with an illness? Right? Hahaha

Try not to use the oil on your BB as it can cause addiction to BB. Look at baby massage videos that can help with prevent wind and share with your mother if she is open to it. Suggest you sign up for baby care classes with doctor boh boi for both your mil if talking to them does not help. She will help dispel old wives tales and also call out grandparents during her classes 😂 (better than you doing it as they might think they know better)

Read more
2y ago

My mother will say the person knows nothing 🤦🏻‍♀️

💙 pls dont feel discouraged or stressed. Breast milk will provide nutrients to the bb too. So its ok to give formula AND breast milk. Its best not to feed bb any plain water (not even boiled water) becos water does not have any calories which the bb needs - i’ve checked in on this with PD too. Drink more red dates drink during your confinement period to nurse back your health :)

Read more

My mum also insist in using the Ru Yi Oil to rub on my BB's tummy to prevent wind but honestly, I don't encourage cause BB still young. She also feeds my BB the pearl powder after showering as she says it helps BB to calm down and not be easily frightened. I am very worried about what my BB is consuming or the products old people use on him.

Read more
VIP Member

Breast is best. Only if you cannot, then give formula. No water at all for the first 6 mths. If it worries you, do tell your mother “No”. And let your husband know it too. Most importantly, to give you an ease of mind, you should let your PD know as well.

2y ago

I feel for you. Shut out their comments and let the PD speak. Bring your husband along. Hopefully it will change his mind.