Nipple bleed after pumping

Hello, new mum here. I was pumping milk on my breasts. 15 min on each side for 2 rounds. On my last round, the last nipple suddenly bleeds after I was done. Wanted to know if this is normal? Anyone have experienced this before? Is it because the pumping is a little strong or is there something I should be worried about? Need some advice pls.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

First of all, check if the flange size is correct. I had the same experience too, bleeding when pumping but that was due to my newborn who was very high demand in milk and my nipple was all damaged due to his aggressive sucking and as first time mum, i wasn’t used to it. I even used nipple cover while latching but for some reason he still managed to make my nipple wound open up again lol. What i did was i applied nipple better whenever i start pumping. Lower the suction level to whichever you think is comfortable and wouldn’t risk opening up the wound again. I’ve never tried silver cups but i do see good reviews, perhaps you can try because breastfeeding can be a painful journey. Anything to make your journey easy and smooth, best to invest on it. Anyway, the blood that’s mixed with your breastmilk is safe for baby to drink :) It will heal eventually, but do seek doctor if bleeding continues over a period of time.

Read more

It’s normal, might be due to the pressure, friction or mastitis. Can try applying nipple cream after pumping and coconut oil on the flange before pumping. Wear disposable breast pads (or silverettes if you have the budget) to prevent further friction. Also, if it’s painful, you can lower the pressure or do hand express for the time being till it heals. I once had blood in milk too, due to mastitis and cracked nipples (I increased the suction cause the flow is affected due to mastitis.)

Read more

I don’t think it’s normal though.. it can feel sore which is normal but I don’t think it should bleed. Can check if the flange size is correct, may be too much friction or the pumping is too strong. Not necessary to have too high suction!

high chance that the flange size is wrong~ remember to apply nipple cream after pumping, helps to soothe the pain!

TapFluencer

🙏💕