Flange Size

How do i know whether Im using the correct flange size? Heard that when using the correct size, pumping should be painless, but my nipples hurt alot whenever i pump I am Exclusively Pumping, currently using Haenim 7V+ Breast Pump, comes with a 24mm flange and free 21mm flange insert. First pic is without the insert, just using the 24mm flange. I have short nipples, so the red line is where my areola ends and nipple starts. Can see that alot of my areola is being sucked so I suppose this size is too big right? Second pic is with 21mm insert. But I cannot see my nipple while pumping so how do I know its the right fit? It is still a little painful when i pump with the insert. Third Pic is how my nipple looks like after pumping with 24mm Flange. Forth Pic is how my nipple looks like after pumping with 21mm Flange Insert. Fifth Pic is how my nipples look before pumping. Dont know if the 3rd/4th/5th pics are helpful but just putting it here in case! I have measured my nipples and they should fit 21mm, but the lactation consultant at my hospital after deliver told me I am a 24mm. Hoping to get advice here first, thank you mummies!

Flange Size
4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, pumping shouldn’t hurt if your flange size is correct. You can get a nipple ruler (shopee has it, mine was from LegendairyMilk). The above pic, your nipples looks pretty dry, you can use nipple cream. I like to apply it on the flange during pumping to reduce friction and apply on nipples after pumping. 😊 From what I see, 24mm is too big for you, whereas 21mm is too small. You can try out 22mm flange (also from shopee). Not sure if the picture is clear here but you can google “How does a correct flange size looks”.

Read more
Post reply image
6mo ago

Also to add on, some mummies do experience nipple size change thru out breastfeeding so if you feel that it starts to hurt every pump, remeasure your flange size again. 😊

TapFluencer

Hi i have short nipples too. But they are quite big so i use 30mm flange. I have to moisturise 2x a day and massage properly. I use medela swing free flex. It hurts me for abit after massage function ends then the actual pumping starts it feels like its pulling my nipple apart then gradually it stretches out and its bearable. If i dont moisturise it with nipple butter it gets worse

Read more
6mo ago

is this a common problem for short nipples 😣😣

I suggest going to the lactation consultant in your hospital and ask them to measure you. I went with online guides and ended up getting sizes way too big and injuring my nipples (I bought silverettes after tt to heal them coz they hurt so much even when I'm wearing my bra) In the end,I needed flanges tt were way smaller than what online suggested.

Read more
7mo ago

lactation consultant at my hospital said im a 24mm, im using 24mm and it hurts so bad

Ur flange looks slightly big.. not sure, gotta ask ur hubby measure for u mummy