My baby is 3 weeks old and face constipation issues. She can go for days without pooping even though we can see her struggling to poop sometimes. She's mostly on Bm with one night feed on formula and her poop is soft mustard in colour when she finally poops. We have to help stimulate her pooping with suppositories sometimes..any parents face similar issues and any recommendations for natural remedies to help little one to poop? Thanks!

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There isn’t an exact guide as to what constitutes “normal” when it comes to baby’s bowel movement frequency. It is common for exclusively breastfed babies to not have a bowel movement for a few days in a row (like what Reine mentioned, it could be 7 to 10 days). The more important point would be that your baby’s stools are reasonably soft. Signs of constipation in infants include: - Stools that are hard and dry or have blood in them - Baby showing persistent discomfort when moving her bowels Constipation is rare in infants who are exclusively breastfed. You can consult your doctor if you are worried. If she is showing other symptoms such as vomiting or a swollen tummy, it could then indicate a more serious condition and should seek medical attention. Here are some simple suggestions you can try to help ease constipation: - Giving your baby more fluid (you can try giving small amounts of diluted prune juice when your baby is older than 2 months, if the problem persists) - Wiggle your baby's legs in a gentle pedaling motion while he/she is lying on his/her back. - Gently but firmly massage your baby’s belly (below the navel). If you feel a firm area, keep a steady pressure there for a few moments. These may help promote bowel movements. For more information on constipation: http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/microsites/infant_constipation/infant_constipation.old.htm

Read more
5y ago

Hey. My son was 3 months old only breast fed having hard dry stools.

Babies can poop anywhere from 8 to 10 times a day to once every 7 to 10 days and will still be considered just fine as long as they are not uncomfortable. Baby can get constipated when you switch to a new food, like from breastmilk to formula, or when you introduce new solids. If baby is constipated, the poop will come out as hard balls or she will be passing a lot of gas. Beware of black, red or maroon poop which could mean there is blood in it. Blood can be a sign of something more serious. Baby at 3 weeks old is still young and should not be introduced food that can improve constipation. You can cycle baby legs and massage her tummy to help get her bowels moving. You can change her formula or your diet to help. Add in some fruits and veggies such as pears and broccoli. If all the tricks do not help, it will be better to talk to your doctor for advice.

Read more

That is how my baby was, his dr. told me to give him water and put suppositories. I only put suppository once a day for 3 days. At that age they don't know how to push to do poo. And with the suppository it helps him push so its little bit more practice and easier. It helps alot

Is your lo fully breastfed? It's fairly common. mine didn't poop for 11 days. Just keep monitoring and observing! If baby is happy with no discomfort, let it be. Look for bloating in stomach. If after 7 days still no poop, then bring to PD.

Formula could be the reason for constipation as per my experience my daughter had this issue I have started giving her similac comfort and I have reduce the quantity of the powder in her milk which has solved her constipation issue.

Try changing formula if on formula Friso helps If not increase intake of your own veggies What my pd told me sometimes is to massage the anus with baby oil That can help stimulate

Read more

Same with my baby,I just have to pump his anus for him to poo

Mother should take more of water, oranges, and vegetables

With time it will stop same with my baby