First time mummy...

Hi mummies! Have u ever encounter someone telling u your baby bump is "small" when u tell them how many months u are? Personally fr me i kept questioning myself like, is it not ok fr my tummy to be small? Or is my baby growing well? I feel down sometimes... #1stimemom #firstbaby #advicepls

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, got such comment from my niece, friend who birthed 3 kids and even from my mom! As a first time mom, I know how it feels. I remember I cried after hearing it from my niece cos kids don’t lie, but then hubby said I shouldn’t take what a kid said seriously cos they don’t know babies need time to grow. For my mom, it was because she was worried that i wasn’t eating enough. I’m petite so it’s unfair to compare with average size moms. Told myself to ignore all these comments, more importantly, ask gynae if baby is of the right weight for the gestation week, bump size doesn’t matter. Just eat healthily and take care of yourself, don’t let this negativity gets to you.. happy mummy happy baby :)

Read more

Actually come to think about it, you should be even more proud of it! My bump is considerably smaller too and ive also gotten comments about it being small, but what i know is that bb is actually considered big according to my gynae (84th percentile). Isnt it amazing knowing that you are capable of growing a baby albeit in a small bump? We dont want a bump that is so huge too because it will be so inconvenient for you to move around. I think small and cute bump is the best! Please dont be affected by other people's comments. Be happy, mummy!

Read more

Some bumps are small but does not mean a small baby and likewise. My bump was huge and people will always look at it and probably thought I was carrying multiple. But I had a high amniotic fluid volume which is a pregnancy condition and that made my bump huge but my baby came out less than 3kg. Even my 1st pregnancy bump was very small and I only 'showed' at 7 mths and it's really common for first time mums cos your uterus has just started to stretch to accomodate to your growing baby but will show earlier with your subsequent pregnancies.

Read more

I’m just the opposite of you, everyone keep telling me my tummy is too big😅 Don’t worry about the size of your tummy, each of our physical structure is different hence our tummy size will differ as well. As long as the gynae said you and baby are healthy that is what is most important. Don’t be overly concerned with the comments of others. Stay confident and be strong, a happy mama, a healthy baby! Take good care and God bless you and baby!

Read more

on the contrary, I did not feel affected when people comment that my bump is small. I agree objectively that it's smaller (I am not competing for bigger bump anyway) but it's also expected for first-time moms due to the abdominal walls not stretched before. as long as baby is growing well, which you should know from doctor appointments, then there is nothing to worry about. hope you feel better listening to the different perspective here :)

Read more
VIP Member

1 week before my baby came out I have people telling me I look 5 months pregnant and it’s not only 1 person but many people saying that to me! But my baby was healthy 2.98kg! Everyone’s body is different so as long as your gynae say baby is okay then nothing to worry dont need care what they say in fact small tummy better dont need try so hard to get rid of excess skin haha

Read more

Don’t worry, mummy. As long as the doctor finds that your baby’s measurement is okay, bump size is irrelevant. My bump was considerably small for my first pregnancy and I encountered so many rude remarks too. The worse experience I could never forget was when I was asked to give up my mrt seat to a more “pregnant” lady. I was 36w pregnant.

Read more

My bump is so small that my colleagues think im 4-5 mths when im actually 33 weeks. It doesnt matter cos as long the baby is growing well. Bigger bump doesnt necessarily mean that the baby is big. My son was 35 weeks n born at 2.9 kg even with my small bump. Small bumps are easier to walk with and definately no stretch marks seen 🤭

Read more

I'll just smile and say thank you. my gynae says baby is growing well and thats all I care about. thank you for your concern. when you're pregnant or have a young child, everyone has an opinion about everything. I've learnt to just tuned out and focus on what I know is good and important for baby.

Me! My coll didn’t even realise I’m pregnant till I’m in 3rd trimester . Maybe bcos I didn’t gain weight throughout pregnancy but my baby is born on the smaller side but healthy. She grow up so well & healthy . So don’t care about what others say. And I think for ftm, bump is smaller too