Panic attacks and Pregnancy

Hi mummies, just wondering if there’s any mummies who is prone to panic attacks/anxiety disorder prior to getting pregnant? Mind sharing your pregnancy experience/journey? Thanks in advance :)

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Do you know your triggers for the panic attacks? Is it the pregnancy that’s giving you anxiety or is it other triggers that are not concerning pregnancy? Panic attacks as a result of anxiety can happen to anyone. It’s more important to find our your triggers and manage it from there. If it’s the pregnancy, are you worried about the pregnancy or something that’s concerning you? Generally, hormonal changes does get us emotional. But i still believe it’s important to find out your trigger. You can speak to your gynae if you find that it is affecting you, your sleep or daily life. Shortness of breath is also common in pregnancy. And when more severe, it can be misunderstood as a panic attack as well. Would definitely recommend that you share with your gynae and they’ll be able to assess your condition further to see if you need additional medical/psychological support.

Read more

I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder when I was younger and my main trigger would be crowds in tiny spaces (I’ll just take it as claustrophobia). However, I’ve not had regular anxiety attacks for the past 6-7 years. During my first trimester in pregnancy, somehow my anxiety attacks came back 🥺 I was just so anxious about my pregnancy and worried about things going wrong. I noticed that it happens when I’m in a rush too. Hence I just allocate more time before heading out so I won’t subject myself to rushing and triggering the attacks. It seems to help and I haven’t experienced regular attacks since mid of my second trimester. Currently week 30 now. It’s important to identify your trigger(s). You are doing just fine, momma! 😊

Read more