Maternity insurance

Mummies, which maternity insurance did you get during ur pregnancy. (Singleton/Multiple). I’m looking for the standalone ones, not wholelife plan. Kindly share. Thank u.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would go for manulife if I wanted a stand-alone plan. But because we decided to be kiasu for first child, we went for AIA whole life. Honestly it is very difficult to make any claims to the maternity insurance - I don’t see a point in buying it. You have to be in super severe and critical state in order to be eligible to claim and even then it’s $5k or $10k max, depends how much coverage you buy. If you’re already in that kind of critical state, $5-10k is really not much help as you’ll likely be in ICU and cost is definitely not cheap. Make sure you check with agent in what scenario can you make claims. If you are a high risk pregnancy then yes, perhaps it will make sense to get the maternity insurance. Else if it’s going well you may consider not getting any.

Read more
2y ago

Hi mummy, sure I will take note of the above.. Thank you dear.. 😊

Yeah I agree with below comment. I don’t see a point in buying it. Probably for peace of mind, you may. It covers death during pregnancy or any other complications during pregnancy but as mentioned above the coverage is not extensive based on how much you’re paying for it monthly. We bought AIA too. Transferable once baby is out as her/his life plan. Most importantly I think Hospital plan is utmost priority. I had complications post-delivery and my maternity insurance didn’t cover anything. My hospital plan covered almost $6k of the total complication cost instead. Do get an agent to advice you more on the coverage and make sure you know what you’re buying.

Read more
2y ago

I took AIA for all my insurance plans. Hospital plan is very important and a must for everyone I would say. I was paying $46 for A plan which has coverage for both private and govt hospitals. I am 33 this year. I recently downgraded to B plan because I don’t think I’ll be going to private hospitals so I’m paying $20.40 per month now. Age is also a factor for the monthly premiums. The older you get the more expensive it is. Just a little insight on my case, when I gave birth I was diagnosed with post-delivery preeclampsia. Was warded for 6 days in B2 ward at KKH. My hospital bill alone was $11 k before Govt subsidy of $7 k. The balance I was supposed to pay cash however AIA covered the costs of $4k . My baby’s hospital bill was $2 k, Govt subsidy of $900 and balance was deducted thru my husband’s CPF. AIA also gave me a cheque of $900 for my 6 days of hospital stay. And $1177 cheque for my pre-natal visits which I believe was supposed to be reimbursed back to your Medisave up to $9

I bought from aviva. And like what other mummies said, it’s not that worth it to get maternity insurance. I tried to claim but cldnt met the requirements. In hindsight I sldnt have bought it as the payout isn’t that much too. I’m now pregnant with my second one and I don’t intend to purchase it this time round.

Read more
2y ago

Hospital plan (integrated shield plan) normally got waiting period of 10 months for pregnancy complication

I bought from Pru. Hosp plan (shield plan) for self I bought long ago, even though cover preg complication, there's a T&C for it (waiting period of 10 mths) so if u preg and buy hosp plan, the preg complication won't be covered. I suggest u read the T&C carefully

2y ago

Ahhhh thank you so much for this.. So basically must buy hospital plan way before a lady gets pregnant.. Am I correct..? ❤️ Thank you mummy to be… ☺️

VIP Member

I bought with AIA /life plan because the maternity plans are mostly pretty... useless on its own..

2y ago

Ahh I see… I’m really contemplating right now… Already 33 weeks now.. And GE is taking long time to process, even the Insurance Agent adviced me to find other insurance company.. I applied when I was like 27-28 weeks pregnant.. 😩

VIP Member

I didn’t get because the sun is negligible

VIP Member

Axa is great as standalone!

2y ago

Thank you mummy.. ❤️ Congratulations on being a new mummy.. 😍 Btw, did u utilise anything from the maternity insurance..? 😊

I got mine from Manulife

2y ago

Thank you dear.. 😊 Btw have u / did u managed to utilise anything from the maternity insurance..? 😍