1st ultrascan

Hi mummies. A quick question, what are the procedure during the 8 week of scan? Do they do it thru vaginal or just the tummy scan? Thanks #pregnancy #advicepls

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

usually they will try tummy scan first before the transvaginal scan. but if youbare sure the fetus is at 8 weeks, a tummy scan should be sufficient. my first scan was at around week 4 so i have to do a transvaginal scan which is just uncomfy but not painful. my next scan at week 8 was a tummy scan. hope this helps!

Read more

Usually they will do via transvaginal scan during the first semester as it is more clear. My gynae also checked my cervix length etc as I have history of miscarriage. As baby grows bigger it will be uncomfortable to do it transvaginally therefore they will do tummy scan.

3y ago

Oh and yes, i had a full bladder when i did my first scan (which was supposed to be ard 6 weeks) so it wasnt clear when doctor scan me transvaginally. But can still see the sac and fetus. Just that the measurements might not be accurate. So just rmbr, transvaginal scan = no full bladder.

It depends on the progress of the pregnancy... for me gynae always did v scan at week 6,8,9,10.. as development was not visible from tummy... in the end my pregnancy discontinued though.

I did my first scan at week 8, and it was a tummy scan. I guess by week 8 should be able to see quite clearly? If not then i heard that there will be vaginal scan.

Yes it will be vaginal scan as baby is too small to be detected from normal ultrasound 😊 it won’t be any much pain don’t worry!

to see clearly thru tummy scan, try to drink more water and hold your pee before the scan. i didnt do that end up needed a vaginal scan

3y ago

Thanks for the advice! ☺️

Did mine at week 8 and was able to see clearly through tummy scan. It was surreal and amazing by the way. ♡

Mine was tummy scan. Remember to hold your pee before the scan so the dr cn see the baby clearly

TapFluencer

they will do a tummy scan but will do a vaginal scan if they can't see clearly

Week 8 usually still small to observe from abdominal scan... should be vagina

3y ago

Okay thanks. Quite nervous as a 1st time mum so i didnt know what to expect