Antenatal appointment

hello mummies. i received sms about my next few appointments and am wondering if its important to go for the Antenatal appointments? may i know what is it really for, how the procedures done etc. there's like numbers of appointments for both Antenatal monitoring and Antenatal Diagnostic, i dont really want to worry my fiancè having to think of the bills so i might want to skip if its not important.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Actually most of my appts cost more than $100. I don’t know why. I’m under subsidised as well. First appt: 5w 4d - $82 - this was totally unnecessary cause baby was so tiny we could hardly see anything but there was a beating heart though - first estimated EDD 2nd appt: 10w 7d - $135.16 - blood test for Husband - 5mins ultrasound at Antenatal Monitoring Clinic - Doc prescribed Obimin and DHA - confirmed EDD 3rd appt: 12w 3d - $285.50 - cheapest option for Down Syndrome Test was already $100+ - includes detailed scan at Antenatal Diagnostic Centre (length of baby, heart rate, baby limbs and bones, nose bone) - my blood test (4 tubes) - EDD didn’t change My next appt is 4 May and 11 June and both will be at 2 different clinics as well. I am also contemplating if I should go cause I already know my results are Low risk for Down syndrome after the detailed scan as the ratio shown to me was in the thousands. But I think my next appt will tell me whether me or my husband has Thalassemia and to confirm the Low risk of Down syndrome test. And I think can see gender as I will be about 16 weeks already by 4 May? So I will just go lah. It’s also nice to see my baby bouncing and kicking and makes me content that he/she is healthy and growing. Some of my friends also skipped their appts, they only go for the first appt and at 20 weeks or something. And towards due date a few more appts just to make sure baby is not in breech position etc. I understand, some people really can’t afford to go for appts, but I’m sure there are Social workers that you can look out for. Whatever it is, do take care and eat your folic acid at least ok!

Read more

i was like you but my fiancé was against my idea. afterall baby is his and he ofc wanna know the development of baby. and im pretty sure your fiancé wants you to go too. as for the bills, i didnt pay on the spot,except for the detailed scan which is less than 50 for subsidized patients. the rest i pay slowly when we have the money. depending on your condition, if everything is ok, there will be only routine check of height, weight, blood pressure and urine pH, and consultation with doctor, which is less than 50 with no meds for kkh. if got complications, like me (bleeding thruout pregnancy, low iron and such), there will be additional procedure of blood taking example, not more than 150 each appt. depending on your condition tbh. one point of time, you will asked if you wanna take 2 vaccines, its medisave claimable so pls don't reject .its to protect you and baby, esp in this pandemic. but ensure you hv enough medisave as you cant use your fiancé medisave in any appt n delivery cost. all in all, dont miss any appointments. you can also ask them to refer u to MSW take care mummy 🥰 everything's gonna be fine. you n baby matter ♥️

Read more
4y ago

hi mummy! thanks for your assurance.❤ my fiancè doesnt mind if we have to struggle with the bills later in the days, its just that i dont want to stress him out or anything like that as he's only a food deliverer and im unemployed currently. but i guess i should just go for the appointments since its regarding the baby! may god smoothen our journey. thank you again mummy.

In Australia, there is only 3 essential scans around week 12, week 20 and week 30. Unless there are complications, the pregnant lady is only attended to by a midwife, not a obgyn. In Singapore, we have monthly scans at the beginning and weekly ones closer to due date. Friends in Europe are surprised that our first scan happens at week 6 or so. It's more common to have the first scan only in week 12, even in Hong Kong. So if your pregnant has been smooth sailing and you want to cut down on the number of visits, know that you are following the norms in western countries. And singapore is rather different from several parts of the world in this aspect. While even subsidized visits are costly, it would help to know that there are rebates that you can claim. Keep your receipts and make your claims! See https://www.areyouready.sg/YourInfoHub/Pages/News-Guide-to-using-the-MediSave-Maternity-Package.aspx Whatever number of visits you choose to make, just be SURE to attend the week 12, 20 & 30 scans.

Read more

Hi there! Ive been going for all my appointments at NUH under subsidized. The most expensive bill I had was around $180, which was (if i remember correctly) the first 2 appointments. Subsequently, my regular check ups cost around $40-$50 max even with urine and blood tests. My Fetal Anomaly Scan costs around $80 and I only had to go through it thrice throughout my whole pregnancy journey.

Read more

hi dear. its best to go for all your appointments so you know the development of your baby. financial wise if you are struggling you can see the hospital social worker. take care you! 🌻

VIP Member

its best to go for your appt. i think if you concern bout financial, you can ask for MSW.

VIP Member

It should be a detailed check on the baby. You should go for it😊

4y ago

thank you mummy dee! will do.