38w not dilated, will get induced on edd

Hi mummies, i havent dilated @ 38week+ appointment and my gynae suggested for me to get induced 39 weeks onwards. However i told her i wanted to get induced on my edd day itself, in hoping baby will want to come out naturally. This will be my first born btw and so far baby’s condition is good and growing well with ideal normal weight. However i am beyond terrified as everyone who went thru induced have a bad experience and some ended up in csec. Which i wanted to avoid the most, Can mummies share with me your induce story and experience, so i can somehow know what to expect. Is it normal to not dilate @ 38 weeks+ and any possibility i can naturally dilate before edd ? Were you dilated before the induce, and how long was your labor? Were you able to deliver naturally or was it a failed induced. And hows the recovery if csec. Does induce higher chance for csec #FTM #advicepls

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Helloo, FTM here I was induced with cervidil on the 18th at around 1pm, I was 0cm dilated (induced due to small baby and reduced fetal movement) at 38+5weeks. Took a while to reach 3cm dilation, if I recall, I was 3cm only until next day morning! Started getting contractions and was given epidural and a drip that induces contractions at around the 12pm noon the next day, 19th. Next check at 3pm, I was 7cm! Then again at 6pm I was already ready to go at 10cm! Delivered that night at 7.30pm. Overall good experience, I asked my Dr what were the risks/downsides to inducing and he mentioned that inducing tend to hurt more (which it did but I was still ok, managed to shower and poop at 3cm lol, fyi I was given a pain relief jab on my thigh before the epidural and it did help) and that inductions have a 30% chance or failing (resulting in C-section) but thank goodness it was all well! Even though my induction took around 30hrs from start to delivery, I actually enjoyed the experience, the labour ward nurses and doctors were amazing and u will forget all the pain when u see ur baby. You will never know for sure if ur induction will be a success but do it if u have a good reason to. I told myself no matter the outcome, I just want my baby here and healthy.

Read more