Hi mummies, honestly speaking I have not much female friends in life so I don't know who to ask. I am very scared of the contraction pain and labour pain. I WANT A PAIN FREE delivery from start till end, sorry to say I don't want to experience motherhood. As long as I can deliver my baby out safely, I am happy. So this is the reason I need to seek those who have undergone through Normal Delivery with Epidurals pls help me to answer some truthful experiences. THANK YOU!!!! Q1a) When can a pregnant mum start to ask for epidural to be administered?? In observation Ward while waiting for dilation?? Coz I also don't want to feel any slight to intense contractions. Q1b) From the moment she enters the hospital with mild contractions??? Or only when she has very intense contractions prior to actual labour??? Q2) Does epidural effect 100% NUMB the lower part of body UNTIL the FULL DELIVERY OF BABY??? Actually how effective or how long can it lasts till??? Q3a) How to lie down on your back flat if epidural is at your back??? Will not block the epidural from getting into your body??? Q3b) Is epidural considered an anesthesia??? Recently I only heard 2 mums said they ownself press a button to release epidural, how come is like that???? Not done by nurses or doc??? Q3c) Is there any MIN or MAX dosage of epidural can be used??? Q4a) Was there ANY SLIGHTEST PAIN felt when pushing of baby at the cervix & vagina if epidural has been used??? Coz I REALLY don't want to feel any pain when pushing. Q4b) And....also how to push the baby out if lower body is fully numb??? Or actually when pushing baby, there will be no or lesser epidural used??? Q5) Any anesthesia or numbing cream used before cutting the vagina and stitching back??? Or the epidural is actually still effective??? Any SLIGHTEST PAIN felt too???

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was only given epidural after I'm 4 cm dilated. Before that I was given laughing gas and jabs to my thigh as I was induced Labour.. It is possible to lie on the back as you can't feel a thing or at least for me after the epidural is given.. I have low tolerance for pain so I am glad that I didn't felt any pain when they have to open it bigger for the baby to come out. But because of the epidural, I have no idea where to push and just have to try my best to squeeze something out from down below. I could still feel the tug and pull when the doctor was pulling out the placenta and stitching my down below.

Read more