Gestational diabetes

Hi mummies, i am currently pregnant with my first. Got diagnosed with gestational diabetes recently :( Anyone have tips on how to manage? Like what to eat specifically? What kinds of fruits are best to eat? Any thing will help! Talked to the nurse and it made me me so anxious and worried. TIA. #adviceplease

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I am a FTM with GD as well. First and foremost, please do not worry! Think of it as a good opportunity to eat healthier for your and baby’s sake. All foods work differently for everyone, what works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. But for a start, you can cut out as much simple carbs like bread, rice, noodles as possible, focus on getting nutrients from sources like fish, meat, eggs, veggies. Noodles like tang hoon may work as well, as they’re made from mung beans and not wheat. It is difficult to have a low carb diet, given our carb-heavy Asian foods, but not impossible! Fruits like guava, apples, strawberries (yes really!) are ok for me. Try to avoid starchy sweet ones like bananas, durians, papayas for now. If you want to take carbs, do have them along with fats and proteins, they will help to stabilize the blood sugars. In fact just this morning I had good readings with McDonald’s breakfast sausage wrap with milk! Was wondering if the hash brown within the wrap would cause a spike. I did not eat the other hash brown, gave it away. Having grilled chicken chop with coleslaw , salad and a scoop of ice cream work for me too! Take your readings whenever you eat something new, see how your body reacts to it. I know for sure that I cannot do rice, unless it is in very small amounts. Because of this low carb diet I am not gaining sufficient weight, in fact I lost weight in the first two weeks after starting the GD diet. But as long as baby is growing, I’m not worrying much, just focus on eating well and eating right. Snacks and treats occasionally are perfectly fine as well, what is life without some sweet treats right? 😄 Jiayou!!

Read more

I had GD during my 1st pregnancy. Positive side is you become healthier and not put on much weight with the diet controls. Cut the carbs and switch the type of carbs, low gluten. (E.g. switch out white rice to brown rice and cut the portion). Noodle especially is more starchy. Switch to wholemeal bread.More greens (less starchy type). Sauces and gravy in your meals to be limited as these adds into sugar. Fruits to be eaten a few hours after meal so as not to spike the blood sugar. No added sugar to meals and drinks. Everything you consume just check online if it is diabetic friendly to have a gauge of the sugar. Aside, constant monitoring of blood sugars and increase/incorporate activities such as walking into your daily activities helps too!

Read more