Bloody stool

Hi mummies, I am 22 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child & I have bright red blood in my stool. Never had it during my first pregnancy so i’m not sure if its normal... Is it because my body is heaty?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It could be Hermorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are varicose veins  in the rectum. They're also known as piles because of the resemblance these swollen veins sometimes bear to a pile of grapes or marbles (now you know why they're no fun to sit on). Hemorrhoids are especially common in the mid-second to third trimesters of pregnancy , although they can appear at any time. Pressure from your enlarging uterus starting around week 25, plus increased blood flow to the pelvic area, can cause the veins in the rectal wall to swell, bulge and itch. If you experience any bleeding, be sure to see your doctor. It could be it's the hemorrhoids bleeding (likely when you're bearing down during a bowel movement) or it may be an anal fissure (a small tear in the skin that lines the anus caused by straining from constipation, which may be incredibly painful). But it's best to check in with your practitioner just to be safe. What you can do about hemorrhoids during pregnancy - Stay regular. The best hemorrhoid treatment during pregnancy is to stay regular, so drink plenty of water and up your fiber intake to avoid constipation. - Do your Kegel exercises. In addition to preparing your perineal floor for birth, Kegel exercises during pregnancy can help prevent hemorrhoids by improving circulation to the area. - Sleep on your side . And not your back (which you shouldn't be doing anyway after your first trimester) — this reduces pressure on the affected area. You can also try lying down on your left side a few times a day to relieve the pressure on your rectal veins. - Keep moving. Don't sit or stand for long stretches at a time, Try taking a brisk five-minute walk every hour or so to improve circulation to the area and flush things out. And if you have your doctor's OK, keep up safe pregnancy exercises right until your due date.  - Don't force it. Don't strain or linger on the toilet.  - Stay clean as a whistle . Use warm water and white two-ply toilet paper to wipe after bowel movements. Don't wipe too hard, either, which can irritate sensitive tissues. Try wipes if toilet paper is too harsh for your sensitive backside. - Take a warm bath. A 10- to 15-minute soak in the tub will help you stay clean and may help reduce discomfort. - Try witch hazel or ice packs. These can both help soothe the sting of hemorrhoids. - Get a donut-shaped pillow. If sitting is really uncomfortable, it can ease the pressure. - Talk to your practitioner about hemorrhoid treatments. He or she may recommend a stool softener or topical cream to relieve the itching and pain. Take care and God bless you and baby.

Read more

Do you suffer from constipation? If so, there may be bleedings. Or it could be another reason. If it persists, it is advisable to consult a doctor.

3y ago

Yup, might be because of the constipation. No other bleeding apart from last night. Baby movements can also still be felt. Will consult a doctor if anything. Thank you so much! 😊

Hi po, mommies, do u experience bleeding or spoting? I'm 22 weeks pregnant. Thank you.