Mummies, how long do you usually latch your newborn? My son (12day) usually falls asleep after 20mins latching, sometimes need to top up with formula in half an hour, does this mean he didn't have enough latching time?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

What you are doing is feeding on demand, which is correct. Babies around this age drinks every 2 hours. As they get bigger and their tummies can hold more milk they usually eat every 3 to 4 hours. When my baby was less than 1 month old, I let him latch for around 15 minutes. You can look for these signs as an indication if your baby hungry: *moving their heads from side to side opening their mouths *sticking out their tongues *placing their hands, fingers, and fists to their mouths *puckering their lips as if to suck nuzzling again their mothers' breasts showing the rooting reflex (when a baby moves its mouth in the direction of something that's stroking or touching its cheek) *crying Sometimes babies also latch for comfort. Not neccessary because they are hungry.

Read more

Babies have small stomachs and hence, each will have their own feeding schedules. So don't worry too much. Babies are typically "programmed" to respond to their basic needs (hungry being one of it). As long as you are feeding your newborn when he is hungry, should be fine. :) A good gauge would be that he is gaining weight after the initial weight lost (which takes place in the first two weeks). Here are some signs that indicate your baby is well fed: - baby looks relaxed and contented after a feed - more frequent nappy change (guide: 6-8/day) - baby’s stool should lighten to a yellowy mustard colour after first five days from birth - your breasts feel softer and emptied after nursing Take care of yourself, have plenty of fluid, a balanced diet and as much rest as you can!

Read more

From discussion with my friends, different babies have different preference and duration, some need to be fed every hour, some can wait till 2 hours..some will latch few minutes then sleep while others latch for one whole hour. Breastfeed on demand means you latch your child whenever he wants it for whatever reason. Don't over think it as you not supply enough milk etc. As mentioned by previous advice, sometimes they just want comforts.

Read more

Thanks Emeris!